Thread: Trotec Exhaust Recommendations

Trotec Exhaust Recommendations

Was wondering if anyone had recommendations on an online exhaust for a Trotec Speedy 100. Want to avoid the HF dust collector as owned that prior and what something a little quieter. I am venting out a window that is maybe 3 feet from the machine so not going a long distance. I did run across a 6" on Amazon that is 350 cfm. TerraBloom ECMF-150, Quiet 6" Inline Duct Fan with 0-100% Variable Speed Controllable EC Motor, Metal Case, Energy Efficient. For Ventilation and Exhaust Blower For Home and Growing Applications https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JMHFJMR...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Joseph
    Welcome to SMC. There are many threads on this topic. Try doing a search and you'll dig them up.
    good luck!
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Mazey View Post
    Was wondering if anyone had recommendations on an online exhaust for a Trotec Speedy 100. Want to avoid the HF dust collector as owned that prior and what something a little quieter. I am venting out a window that is maybe 3 feet from the machine so not going a long distance. I did run across a 6" on Amazon that is 350 cfm. TerraBloom ECMF-150, Quiet 6" Inline Duct Fan with 0-100% Variable Speed Controllable EC Motor, Metal Case, Energy Efficient. For Ventilation and Exhaust Blower For Home and Growing Applications https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JMHFJMR...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Quite a few people are going with these lately: https://www.acinfinity.com/duct-fan-systems/ I have one on our Epilog machine, and have been pretty happy with it. Pulls decent air and is very quiet. On high speed, I can't even hear it about the machine itself.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Utick View Post
    Quite a few people are going with these lately: https://www.acinfinity.com/duct-fan-systems/ I have one on our Epilog machine, and have been pretty happy with it. Pulls decent air and is very quiet. On high speed, I can't even hear it about the machine itself.
    Steve, are you using a 4" or a 6" model? The 4" looks to have 205 CFM where the 6" is double that.

Steve, are you using a 4" or a 6" model? The 4" looks to have 205 CFM where the 6" is double that.

I'm using the 6 inch here.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Utick View Post
    I'm using the 6 inch here.
    Steve, follow up question for you. I got the 6" Infinity and also ordered their black hose. It says 4 layer but what I got looks thinner than the flexible stuff I can buy at HD. Not sure if I got the wrong stuff sent or if it is a real cheap knock off. When I am engraving I can smell the odor but inside the laser has no smell so imagine it is escaping through the hose and I am only running about 1 foot of hose before it goes outside. Was not sure if you used the same or had a better recommendation on a hose. I was thinking of adding the charcoal filter but that may be pointless if the issue lies is the hose.

Joseph-- Is your blower inside or outside the house? In a perfect 'blower' world, the ONLY part of the exhaust setup that should be INSIDE is the hose... the blower and any filter apparatus should be OUTSIDE. If the blower is inside, then from its exhaust outlet and beyond is under positive pressure, and even the smallest of pinholes will allow smoke and smell to be pushed out into the room. With the blower outside, then the laser cabinet and all inside hose will be in a vacuum condition, and any pinholes will draw air FROM the room

FWIW, I have 2 C02 lasers and 2 fiber lasers in my garage shop, and 2 HF blowers stuffed into a $50 patio storage box outside just below the garage window remove all the smoke & fumes.
    blwr1.jpgblwr3.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Kev,

Like the setup. Protect the units, muffle sound and don't have to worry about the weather beating up the box.

For my setup I have very limited space. My laser pretty much sets about 2 feet from the window it exhausts out. That window is the front of the house so am limited on anything going outside because the HOA here likes to keep things pretty. Ex. My Mitsubishi air unit on the side of the house I have to lattice in or they would not approve. So for my laser I basically have the infinity connected by a couple to the machine and about a 1 foot hose connected to that going to the plastic window insert to exhaust. That I have sealed with weatherproof striping and foam to prevent any air leak back inside. To add a filter into the line would create a longer run than needed but not sure if it would still be better. I assume it would be laser port - hose - filter - hose - inline - hose - window insert. My eBay laser was sort of same setup except that had a fan built in so was just a hose connected to that port and out. That ran the flexible hose from HD and think it had less smell. Was deleting on whether to get one of those and try. Also was not sure if I could get away with a 6" dust hose as those are pretty solid.

Steve, follow up question for you. I got the 6" Infinity and also ordered their black hose. It says 4 layer but what I got looks thinner than the flexible stuff I can buy at HD. Not sure if I got the wrong stuff sent or if it is a real cheap knock off. When I am engraving I can smell the odor but inside the laser has no smell so imagine it is escaping through the hose and I am only running about 1 foot of hose before it goes outside. Was not sure if you used the same or had a better recommendation on a hose. I was thinking of adding the charcoal filter but that may be pointless if the issue lies is the hose.
    I didn't buy any of their hose, so can't speak to the issue with it. I just picked up some foil dryer vent hose from Lowe's here. My runs are all pretty short on the machine I have that fan on, and haven't had any smell issues with it so far. That fan is on my Epilog machine, which I've done a bunch of leatherette from JDS and also numerous plastics like Rowmark, etc. so far.

I am going to switch hoses and see if that nets a better result. The 4 layer I have is only a inside foil layer and a black putter layer so unless 4 layer means something different to Infinity not a very thick tube. Next idea was to put a 6" vent through the wall and not have to worry about the window exhaust. Area somewhat hidden by a bush so vent would probably never be seen unless looking for it.