Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternative to Incra Positioner for a Slider Saw Parallel Rip Fence

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    Not following how the FF lets you use the whole slider length, the FF takes up space on the slider the Parallel guide does not, and it doesn't take that long, I have the Felder version and it just drops on to the 'P" chanel in literally 2-3 seconds, you don't even need to clamp it. with 2 Parallel guides and your xcut fence removed you can effectively rip longer than your slider is capable of, don't get me wrong the FF has its place and I use it more than the Parallel guide but the parallel guide excels at longer repeat cuts parallel or non parallel
    Mark, what I referred to as "fritz and Frans Lite" isn't Fritz and Frans. I've posted a video before but it is closer to parallel positioner in operation, can't find the tread. You are right, F&F would not allow full carriage use. I use the fence stop on the lead of a board like you do with a the parallel positioner, but skip the parallel positioner. Front end against the stop, back end just held down by hand pressure to make a straight pass. Next pass is against a rip fence (short usually) as a stop to make a parallel board. This is for working a glue line rip off the carriage, or for cleaning off a live edge that can be followed by a rip to width.

Ok that makes sense, although I can't think of a time where I have used the rip fence as a bump stop with the parallel fence. my typ. would be something like I have a bunch of random width and length rough hardwood that needs to be all the same width. lets say I need 10 - 5.25" strips and my boards range 6" - 12" I would straight line rip one edge on all the boards then set my front stop and guide @ 5.25" and rip to final width and of course there are multiple ways to skin this cat depending. Also obviously you can just use the rip fence as well which I also do, as you know the benefit of using the slider side is that it is easier, you can clamp the material and some would say have a glue ready edge although I never rely on a glue ready edge of my say unless it's something I don't care about, some would also say it is safer.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Mark, what I referred to as "fritz and Frans Lite" isn't Fritz and Frans. I've posted a video before but it is closer to parallel positioner in operation, can't find the tread. You are right, F&F would not allow full carriage use. I use the fence stop on the lead of a board like you do with a the parallel positioner, but skip the parallel positioner. Front end against the stop, back end just held down by hand pressure to make a straight pass. Next pass is against a rip fence (short usually) as a stop to make a parallel board. This is for working a glue line rip off the carriage, or for cleaning off a live edge that can be followed by a rip to width.