Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to Incra Positioner for a Slider Saw Parallel Rip Fence

Alternative to Incra Positioner for a Slider Saw Parallel Rip Fence

Hi All, I am looking to add a parallel rip fence to my Minimax Sliding Table Saw. I have seen folks attach an Incra Positioner to an extension table on the slider wagon. It seems like an easy way to get accurate and repeatable results while still using the wagon. Incra shows a 15-19 week backlog and I am not that patient, so I am looking for alternatives. I am open to a "ready-to-use" positioner similar to Incra. I am also fine with building something with aluminum extrusion, assuming I can find an easy base to attach to an extension table and have the extrusion slide easily through that base and lock in place. I am guessing there are many ways to add this functionality to my wagon, so I thought I would ask others how they have before I go try to re-invent the wheel. Thanks so much!

I simply use a Fritz und Franz jig............Rod

There are times I would like to use the full 8.5' length of slider for ripping. I think the Fritz and Franz works well for shorter pieces. Thanks for the quick reply.

Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Here's one I made of maple, aluminum, an old broomstick and some farmer's bin nuts and bolts. It wouldn't be a stretch to add a tape measure. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?270617-parallel-ripping-jig-for-slide
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 10-27-2020 at 2:44 PM.

Kevin, that is clever! And Erik, thanks for sending the link for the Lamb Tool offering. I am looking for something in between these options. I think I found some options with some aluminum extrusion slides, but I will be curious if any other unique solutions surface here. Thanks again for the responses.

For what it's worth, I ordered the 25-inch positioner for my Minimax on 28 May 2020 and resigned myself to the 15-18 week shipping date. It was mailed to me on 7 August 2020, which is about five weeks ahead of schedule.

You could definitely make one with a few aluminum extrusions if you feel creative. The Felder model I'm familiar with is pretty similar to the Lamb Tool Works jig that Erik posted. Not exactly complicated, but it is effective.

Personally I'm with Rob's take, with a slight deviation. I use a fritz and frans "lite" technique, lets you use the whole slider carriage length and is faster. The positioner jig rarely gets used.

Not following how the FF lets you use the whole slider length, the FF takes up space on the slider the Parallel guide does not, and it doesn't take that long, I have the Felder version and it just drops on to the 'P" chanel in literally 2-3 seconds, you don't even need to clamp it. with 2 Parallel guides and your xcut fence removed you can effectively rip longer than your slider is capable of, don't get me wrong the FF has its place and I use it more than the Parallel guide but the parallel guide excels at longer repeat cuts parallel or non parallel

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    You could definitely make one with a few aluminum extrusions if you feel creative. The Felder model I'm familiar with is pretty similar to the Lamb Tool Works jig that Erik posted. Not exactly complicated, but it is effective.

Personally I'm with Rob's take, with a slight deviation. I use a fritz and frans "lite" technique, lets you use the whole slider carriage length and is faster. The positioner jig rarely gets used.

Blog Entries
    The Lamb is the nuts. Yes, it is expensive, but buy once and you won’t regret it.

Did you put the 17" or 25" version on yours? I am contemplating just waiting in line for one since it does serve what I am looking to do really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    The Lamb is the nuts. Yes, it is expensive, but buy once and you won’t regret it.
    I have a local customer who has one of them. Quality is better than OEM, in my opinion. The cost is fair for what you receive. I cannot imagine DIY'ing anything even close for what he charges. If he offered one with just an analog scale, I could see a real market.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

He does offer the analog version, at least he did about the same cost as the Felder unit. Although not sure if it registers on the Felder "P" channel the same way. Also note that the Felder version allows you to use the table alone and the Lamb does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I have a local customer who has one of them. Quality is better than OEM, in my opinion. The cost is fair for what you receive. I cannot imagine DIY'ing anything even close for what he charges. If he offered one with just an analog scale, I could see a real market.

Erik
    Last edited by Mark e Kessler; 10-28-2020 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Roun View Post
    There are times I would like to use the full 8.5' length of slider for ripping. I think the Fritz and Franz works well for shorter pieces. Thanks for the quick reply.
    I use my F&F for ~8' lumber all the time....best to flatten and thickness first, however, but I"ve sized rough or irregular pieces, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I bought the 17" LS Positioner for my 79" K3 slider last year, and had to wait like 6-8 weeks for it to arrive, if I remember correctly. I originally mounted it to a plywood panel that would fit onto the small extension table on the wagon, using cleats on the bottom of the panel for repeatable installation. I would then clamp the cleats to the extension table.

Since then I built a little "mounting platform" for it (see pics), and the entire platform attaches to the T-slot on the side of the wagon using what are basically trapezoidal T-bolts (their design means they self-center in the slot). This lowers the overall height of the positioner, and lets me attach it anywhere I want along the length of the wagon. My saw does not have a P-channel or F-channel design though, so I have to always slide this thing (or just the bolts) in from the far end of the wagon. My shop is too small for me to leave the outrigger attached all the time, but if I did then I would have to mount this differently or go back to the extension table-based design. I think I always use it in the position shown in the pics, just beyond the small extension table (which I never move). The maximum supported width is somewhere around 14.25".

Because this design is a little complicated to install, and because it's quite bulky, I really only use this when I have to rip a bunch of longer boards. I usually end up installing one half of my Fritz and Franz jig at the far end of the slider (whichever one goes there, I don't know which is which) and use that as an "edging shoe", while this stays at the near end. For all other similar operations I just use the full regular F&F jig. Both solutions work well.

incra2.jpgincra1.jpg
    And there was trouble, taking place...