Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dog storage

dog storage

I have a good collection of various dogs and a few holdfasts. I was thinking of sticking the holdfasts in the holes in the front of one of the legs, but what to do with the dogs? There are 8 or so, of various sizes and materials - wood, plastic, and metal. Also a wide planing block that fits two holes at one end.

Do I just stick them all in dogholes out of the way at the back of the bench?

This is how I'm currently handling it...

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I keep mine in the last row of holes on the bench. They rarely get in the way & it they do, I just move 'em.

Blog Entries
    Mine are in a drawer at the bench.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I made a 2x4 wall 'shelf' with 3/4" holes. I have similar shelves for chisels and marking gauges.

Mine are in a rack, sorta like Jim's, except mounted to the wall above my bench.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

As I was reading the title Dog Storage with my dogs sitting in front of me. I was wondering why the hell would anyone want to store their dogs.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Hussey View Post
    As I was reading the title Dog Storage with my dogs sitting in front of me. I was wondering why the hell would anyone want to store their dogs.
    A kennel was my first thought on reading the title.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    This is how I'm currently handling it...

Something is wrong with your bench Jim - it’s way too clean!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Something is wrong with your bench Jim - it’s way too clean!
    Trust me....it's not...that photo was taken just as I finished making the new top.
    --

I have a wooden dog in every dog hole in my bench. They're square dogs, I just push em up or down (they're flush with the top, being wooden makes this trivial). I keep holdfasts in holes in the legs. My planing stop hangs on the wall There are all sorts of ways to do it, really just ends up being what works best for you. It's fun hearing how people deal with this though.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

My bench is 24 inches wide and currently has a full row of dog holes along the front (in line with a dog on my twin tail vise), a more spaced row down the middle (mainly for holdfasts, but also in line with a dog in the tail vise), but not in the rear half of the table. I'll want some eventually, but I wasn't sure where yet, so I'm waiting to drill them until I figure out what feels right. This means, not a ton of extra holes for dog storage on table.

Definitely no "right" way, so great to see the different approaches everyone has taken. Thanks again!

My "bench" is quit different, Paulk Style, and my dogs are 20mm. But I store them and the clamps for my track saw and that work in the table top in a shall drawer that opens on both sides of the top. The runners are a simple L shaped bracket screwed to the under side of the bottom layer of the top. Works great and is one of my most used drawers.

Jim
    Is that Purpleheart and fiddleback Maple?

And what height is your bench most often?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Jim
    Is that Purpleheart and fiddleback Maple?

And what height is your bench most often?

Purpleheart and chary primarily with a couple pieces of "really old" white oak at the vice end. The two heights I use the most are all the way down at low desk height so I can work while seated in a chair for detail work and about 33", or so which is the same height as my CNC table. The latter is convenient as I go back and forth between them in support of CNC work. But I move it up and down depending on what I'm working on at the moment...it only takes a few seconds to do so.
    --