Thread: drilling a hole through insulation?

drilling a hole through insulation?

I'm trying to drill a hole in the wall so I can route my air hose through. I drilled a hole using a forstner bit and stopped to find it had insulation with paper backing. I was going to try and route the hose through the corner of the wall on the outside, but now that I think about it, I think just drilling straight through the insulation to the otherside is going to be the best bet. Should I poke a hole through it first, then drill? I'm already picturing the bit getting wound up in a tight ball around the insulation inside the wall. lol

A twist bit will sail right through, and even a paddle bit. For a forstner I'd probably try to clear a path although that will be a lot like pushing a rope. The insulation tears really easily, so you won't wrap much around the bit.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I may have to put my extension on to reach the other side. I'm actually surprised the little office even had insulation.

I'm going to try and see if I can stab a phillips screw driver through first just to make sure I'm not going to hit or wire or anything, I don't think their is a wire right there, but I would be up a creek if I hit one.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    I'm going to try and see if I can stab a phillips screw driver through first just to make sure I'm not going to hit or wire or anything, I don't think their is a wire right there, but I would be up a creek if I hit one.
    Some stud finders will detect wiring in walls.

Blog Entries
    Sharpen a dowel and rotate it as you push it through the insulation. Once you reach the far side, move the dowel in a circular motion to enlarge the hole you've created. You can create sizeable holes with this method without tangling drill bits with insulation.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee I just poked around with a long twist drill bit to make Sure i wasn't hitting anything, then I finished it up from the other side with the forstner bit. The hose went right through no problems. Thanks for the help everyone.