Thread: Delta 22-650 Planer

Delta 22-650 Planer

Hello,

I have been following a youtube video by Steven Woodward (excellent video) on how to restore this particular planer and how to replace the cutterhead with a new Byrd Shelix cutterhead. I have had an old 22-650 sitting in my garage for several years and decided it was time to restore it back to operational order. I have followed the disassembly instructions he provided to remove most of the components and am going through the process of cleaning, lubricating etc. The planer is in pretty good shape except for two issues:
    1) Two of the anti-kickback fingers appear to be damaged or hanging on something. I am not sure how to pull that piece out as Steven didn't go through that and access to the part is limited. I was looking at the bar that they hang on though and I see a retaining ring but I am not sure what pulling that would buy me. So if anyone knows the trick to removing that part so I can clean it up and figure out why two of the fingers seem to freeze in place that would be helpful.
    2) The rubber cover that covers the shifter mechanism is in pieces. The part is no longer available and I've been looking at various covers for similar equipment but haven't found a good substitute. Perhaps someone on the forum has a notion on where to turn here. I'm considering following Stevens recommendation to provide a cover between the shifter box and the planer area so that wood chips won't find there way in there as he demonstrated in the video, and I am thinking that with that in place it might not be necessary to have the rubber cover. The gearbox cover comes off easily and a person could clean it periodically to deal with any new particles that find there way in there.

Other than these two issues, the planer seems in pretty good shape. It has a mobile base with long folding extension tables attached. This thing is so simple and sturdy it seems pretty indestructible. I am giving it to my little brother who has a little shop he has been working on and this would be a big step up for him.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rick Floyd
    Last edited by Rick Floyd; 10-26-2020 at 7:57 PM.