Thread: Mounting router to lift table

Mounting router to lift table

I have a new Sawstop router lift (RT-LFT). There does not seem to be a "good way" to install the router into the clamp.

First, the router housing is smaller than the minimum diameter of the aluminum clamp when the clamp is completely closed. There are two adapters included for this purpose, however the diameter of the clamp becomes too small to get the router+adapter inside of it even with the smaller of the adapters.

My router (Bosch MRP23EVS) has a "Motor-to-Base 5v Control Connection Track" running along the axis of the motor housing. The housing itself is just over 3-1/2" without the track. The track is maybe in inch wide and protrudes a little less the 1/4" from the surface. However it prevents the circular adapter from closing around the housing and makes it too large to fit into the clamp.

Before I start any destructive modifications, can someone tell me if I'm doing something stupid here?

My plan is to cut the plastic adapter sleeve longitudinally so the adapter is no longer 360 degrees around the router housing. I don't think I want the clamp to put pressure on that track anyway. If that is not sufficient, I guess I'll have to find someone who can bend/modify the aluminum clamp enough for a secure fit. I've already bent and scratched it up a bit trying to get it to fit.

The clearance issue plus the on/off switch in the handle is why these rarely if ever get used with a router lift. Mounting the router in a table using the fixed base is fairly straightforward, though. For that reason I got a 1617 for my router table instead.

There are other lifts that do not use sleeves to adapt to different sized router motors.

One such lift is the Jessem/Incra Mast-R-Lift-II(-R). Note there are differences between the Incra and the Jessem version of this lift, but both have the same mechanicals underneath. The optional -R suffix designates the plate is sized to fit smaller 8.75 inch wide openings on Rockler and some other brand tables, vs 9.75" wide openings on other tables.

The lift has multiple blocks that can be mounted in different holes to grip many different sizes of router motors. Since these blocks do not surround the entire motor, they would not interfere with the track on the side of your motor.

I have the Incra version and am very happy with it. It's primary difference (other than anodized color of some parts) is that the Incra version uses steel throat plates that are held in place magnetically, for tool-free insertion/removal. The Jessem version uses plastic throat plates that use an included pin spanner wrench to install/remove. There is a router bushing adapter throat plate for the Incra version, but I have not tried it.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

It sounds like that particular router you have isn't compatible with that lift system...Marc suggested a reason.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Not the answer you were possibly hoping for but, I think you get that an appropriate router motor would be the best fix for this.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    This doesn't help you with that router, but might with another. I have an Excalibur lift, which the SawStop lift was cloned from. It is made to fit the large Porter Cable motor, but I had the big Milwaukee 5625, which is slightly smaller in diameter. Nobody had an adapter to make the 2 work together. So I mic'd the diameters of the router & the lift clamp & calculated the thickness the adapter needed to be. I found some brass shim stock on Amazon for about $8 that was exactly the right thickness & just a couple of cm too long. The excess was easily trimmed off & it worked perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy D Jones View Post
    There are other lifts that do not use sleeves to adapt to different sized router motors.

One such lift is the Jessem/Incra Mast-R-Lift-II(-R). Note there are differences between the Incra and the Jessem version of this lift, but both have the same mechanicals underneath. The optional -R suffix designates the plate is sized to fit smaller 8.75 inch wide openings on Rockler and some other brand tables, vs 9.75" wide openings on other tables.

The lift has multiple blocks that can be mounted in different holes to grip many different sizes of router motors. Since these blocks do not surround the entire motor, they would not interfere with the track on the side of your motor.

I have the Incra version and am very happy with it. It's primary difference (other than anodized color of some parts) is that the Incra version uses steel throat plates that are held in place magnetically, for tool-free insertion/removal. The Jessem version uses plastic throat plates that use an included pin spanner wrench to install/remove. There is a router bushing adapter throat plate for the Incra version, but I have not tried it.

-- Andy - Arlington TX
    I wish I had seen those before purchasing - the magnetic tool free access in particular. But a different router is less expensive that a new lift.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Not the answer you were possibly hoping for but, I think you get that an appropriate router motor would be the best fix for this.
    Looks like the answer. One vote foe the 1617 and another here: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....op-router-lift The PC 7518 "standard" looks like it is not available and is longer being made.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Augustyn View Post
    The PC 7518 "standard" looks like it is not available and is longer being made.
    I might argue that the PC 7518 was a stout and proper router for the table but, the Milwaukee 5625's have served me well for a dozen years and have been trouble free since the day they were installed.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The PC has been discontinued and reports are spotty on the quality of the more recent units. Now, I'd also suggest the Milwaukee, even though most of my routers are PC

Blog Entries
    The Milwaukee 5625 is a very nice router, both free hand & in the router table.

Sounds like the SawStop lift is fussy about which routers it will accommodate. I suppose it must state acceptable models somewhere in its literature? This discussion — don’t mean to gloat! — makes me feel lucky I went with the JessEm Mast-R-Lift II / PC 7518 router. I bought the PC gently used by a church on eBay, and got lucky there, too, I guess. Great system. When (if) the PC dies, I’ll snap out of my Old Timer ways and research a more contemporary equivalent. It’s good to know it will fit into the JessEm.