Thread: cutting board kits- what am I missing

cutting board kits- what am I missing

While cruising around buying wood for making some cutting boards, I have run across a number of cutting board kits and I just don't get it and wonder just what I am missing.

The way I have always calculated a board foot is cubic inches divided 144 (1 1/4 x 12 x 18 = 270ci and that is around a 2bf board) One particular kit I saw ended at that size but said the kit was 4.5-5bf.

Obviously there is waste but not 60%, I expect more like a half a bf. These are end cut and are checkered maple & (PH or Walnut)

What am I missing?

Likely it will be necessary to query the seller to know.

Just saw some cutting board kits in a catalog and had to wonder about the cost of the offerings. I just made some cutting boards using scraps and odd pieces. Ran each board through the jointer and then the planer to get them smooth. A great way to make use of some good wood that was sitting around collecting dust. Some walnut oil and rubber feet and many folks will get some nice Christmas gifts.

I thought the question would be, "why would anyone buy a kit to make a cutting board"?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I thought the question would be, "why would anyone buy a kit to make a cutting board"?
    ha ha, naah, no one here would buy a kit to make cutting boards.

I have made end grain cutting boards from the cutoffs from the end grain boards that is was making, waste nothing!
    No kits, just cut and fit!

Kits are for folks that have limited tools and aren't blessed with too much wood. I still have a very nice chess/checker board that I built early 50 years ago from a kit and look at it regularly. Now I have every tool I need and a 1000 bdft of mixed hardwoods. Everyone has to start somewhere.
    Last edited by Jerry Wright; 10-30-2020 at 9:44 PM. Reason: Typo
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville