Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much hp does a shaper need?

I don't generally like used tools.

Get the Shaper Book by the Taunton Press-I think it is by Lonnie Bird. Tons of useful information on cutters, fences and most importantly some safety info.
    Fences can be rigged up with plywood scraps to make zero clearance fences which will almost totally encase the cutter.
    A power feeder is next on my got-to-get list.

Increasing the HP doesn't change the build of the quill or spindle which are where you want the beef. Small bearings, close together and a hollow spindle with a draw bar down the center are limiting factors. Adding power without adding build to the quill and spindle is inviting disaster. The size and weight of the cutters and number of passes determine what build you need. That in turn determines the hp needed to safely spin those cutters. Starting with the motor size is doing it backwards.

I started with a 3 hp shaper years ago and did a bunch of raised panels, etc. Results were pretty good but very time consuming and the smaller radius cutters could not compete with larger diameter cutters spun on a more heavy quill. No deflection or slowing under stress, far less sanding, and better suited to a feeder which should be standard on every shaper. I know you don't like used machines, but I'd buy a used Felder F700, SCM T110, or MM equivalent over a new 3 hp size machine and never look back. That size machine seems large until you get into shaping and then you realize they are a nice compromise for the home shop. Dave

I have a 3hp shaper that serves me well but I don't run large cutters on it. I would decide what you want the shaper for before deciding which shaper is right. As for the Jet, for an extra $100 I would get the extra HP. I mainly use my shaper for cutting patterns with a helical head straight cutter. If I was to use if for tasks like raised panels I would have a dedicated power feeder (right now I have a 1/4hp one that I occasionally will mount on it). Most likely it would be one of the variable speed DC ones with 4 wheels.

I went through the whole Shaper decision thing about 18 months ago.

I started out with a $2000 budget in mind and ended up spending close to $7000 by the time I finished, that included some basic cutters and a power feeder.

I had previously gone through the buy cheaper tools, which really weren't that cheap, only to sell them and upgrade to something much more expensive/capable, that I couldn't get my head around when I made my initial purchases.

So this was one of my reasons for the large budget increase, I didn't want to repeat that with the Shaper purchase.

I then decided that, going down the route of buying your second machine first, I wanted all the features that I could get, within reason.

So other than power, which had to be single phase, I decided I wanted the ability to run the motor in clockwise and counter clockwise, I wanted a sliding table and also a tilting spindle and decent dust collection.

To get the best compromise of all these options, I went with the Hammer F3, 4HP and all the features mentioned above.

If I didn't get most of these features, the Shaper would not be adding much versatility over my 3HP router table.

I spent about $1500 buying a couple of cutter heads and cutter inserts and limiters from Whitehill in the UK.

On top of that, I decided that if I was going to buy this machine, I would add a power feeder and so bought a Comatic DC40 (110v).

I've used the Shaper once, since I got it, but as my skills improve, I plan on doing a kitchen cabinet remodel and also some bedroom built in's.

Very nice, I have a B3 and use the tenon hood and table with mine for tenons.

You'll have a lot of uses with the tilting spindle............Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    All these great comments and recommendations and that’s all you’ve got as a reply?

I think i'm going to step up and get the powermatic instead of the jet. It looks like it's a bit beefier.

Many of the used Shapers, I see for sale, are the Powematic models.

Nothing wrong with them, but you might find a deal on a used one probably with a power feeder already installed, most are between $1000-$1800.

Blog Entries
    Understandable. However the divide between a new $2000 shaper and what you can find used for $1000 (say $20k equilivent new) shaper can be massive.

With that said, your usage will dictate the size and hp requirements. What are you making?

Blog Entries
    I think i'm going to step up and get the powermatic instead of the jet. It looks like it's a bit beefier.
    I'd be surprised if they weren't identical build wise.

Gold paint doesnt have any gold in it. But toss your money all you want.

"how much hp does a shaper need" is like asking how much power a car, truck, tractor, tractor and trailer, electric motor, bathroom exhaust fan, needs. Its completely dependant on the load. Do you haul a lot of heavy stuff? Do you take lots of monstrously stinky turds? If so.. you'd need a larger, more powerful, higher horsepower, truck or poop stink sucker. Its really not any more difficult than that.

You buy a 3hp shaper, never use it (the common case), who cares. Buy a 3hp and use it a bit, you'll likely wish you bought a 5hp. Run a 5 for a short time and you'll wish you'd have re-thunk your "thump thump thump, me man...., me only buy new" philosophy and had bought a 7.5HP euro industrial machine at auction for half what you paid for the first 3HP toy. But we all learn however we learn (I did).

As has been stated in the gazillion shaper threads you could have read in the archives had you chosen to... just make sure you budget more than your cost for the shaper for a feeder, and 2x your cost of the shaper for tooling, and dont plan on running any router bits.... All well documented in the archives.

If you are looking at the PM 2700 then look at the Laguna Pro Shaper. It is the same. I have the Laguna and the manuals are the same( same pictures and everything) It will save you some money. I love the fence.

Blog Entries
    Not to beat a dead horse here but looking over the breakdown of the pm 2700 and the jet, they are identical. The exception is that the pm is a 2 spd and the jet is a 4spd. Both run a single top and bottom 6008 bearing. I would rather have 4 speeds 4k, 6k, 8k and 10k vs 10000/7500. 7500 is too fast for a lot of heads unless you stay small diameter.

Pm
    Screenshot_20201028-082507_Drive.jpg

Jet
    Screenshot_20201028-082623_Drive.jpg
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 10-28-2020 at 9:31 AM.

6008 is pretty light duty for a shaper unless the heads are smaller and the cuts lighter. Dave