Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

26 Oct 2020

Greetings,
    I got some time in the shop this past week. A local bakery wanted 20 small cutting boards and I also started working on a pair of dining table benches for a previous customer of mine. I also started moving some firewood from my wood pile to my front porch. During this wood move, I discovered a Yellow Jacket nest in my wood pile by getting stung and chased off by them. 1st sting was on Monday by a single sting. Then I got stung 5 more times on Wednesday while trying to find the nest. I suffered a facial injury from falling while running from them and hitting my right arm and face on the trailer that the wood was being loaded into. I finally recovered from the pain and swelling enough by yesterday that I got out there and burned much of the wood pile. I only have a small bit of wood to cleanup and burn to have it all cleaned up back there. I found 4 different nests in the center wood stack. Busted nose, upper lip, and a swollen and stiff right arm. I'm finally feeling better and starting a good recovery. It's another week of oncall duty at the day job and I'm hoping and praying for a good quiet/easy week at the day job.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis, 'hope the stings are on the mend and that you get even more shop time going forward!

During the week, my shop time was very limited. One small job for someone and then I was pretty much doing work on the landscape, etc. I did start on a chair project on Sunday. Also had a quick visit from my great nephew and his dad...1.5 yo and "moving fast", as it were.

This week I'll continue working on the chair project which is intended to be a learning experience "sponsored" by another 'Creeker. I'll even be using the "spinny thing" to fine tune some parts...it's been awhile since I did any turning. May also get started on my next guitar project which is a bass.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sounds like you have overcome the Yellow Jacket assault and are on the mend Dennis! I spent the week resawing and gluing up bent laminations on a chipboard form - wow, you can never have enough clamps - ran out to Lowe's and picked up 4 more Jorgensens for my next glue up.

Dennis, all I can say is ouch! One tip: a paste of adolf's meat tenderizer and a little water applied to stings and held in place for a bit with a bandage (or whatever) works wonders for relieving the pain/itch and reducing swelling. Applied quickly it works wonders.

I ran into a snag trying to apply laminate to my office counter tops. Apparently the contact adhesive I was using was well past it's shelf life (my stupid fault for not checking). I discovered this after applying the usual two coats to laminate and substrate, waiting the dry time, and having them not stick at all...felt tacky, but no stick, not even a little. I have extra laminate, so those two pieces will just become glue mats, but I had to remove the adhesive from the blanks. Heat gun and scraper worked well and then a wipe down with acetone to remove the last little residue. So no real harm done, just a pain. That was about all for shop time. Made some more progress on Sketchup model for the office desks.

Spent most of the week on outside chores; washed all the windows, cleaned out the garage (which mostly consists of moving all the tools and supplies that migrated from the basement to the garage over the summer back to the basement) and got the snow blower moved to the garage and ready for duty. Assembled the leaf vac, which I break down for storage since it takes up so much room otherwise, and did a first pass on the leaves. After the first load, I discovered I couldn't turn the vac engine off with the kill switch. Traced that to a mouse chewed wire. The fix was simple but took a while to remove enough engine parts to get to the break.

My BIL asked me to look at his Dell Desktop which wasn't booting up. They had some power trouble at their place and the computer stopped working. I though maybe the power supply had been fried, but it checked out. Turned out to be a dead motherboard. Was able to get a NOS replacement, swapped in the old CPU and memory, and he was up and running again.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Jim, it will be interesting to see your chair project. Paul, I am impressed you went from applying laminate to replacing motherboards! I just glued up my second bent lamination - torquing on those clamps can make you sweat!

bent lamination clamped.jpg

Dennis - ouch! I'm thankful you are apparently not allergic to the stings. That many stings would be fatal for many people.

As for me, we relocated the stairway to the basement in our son's home on Saturday. It is a "L" shape, so it entailed building a landing and two sets of stairs. It came out great, and I have to say cutting the stringers with the track saw was great. No overcuts and very easy to keep accurate.

Got to get in my shop on Sunday and continued the re-arranging of equipment and storage to accomodate the A3-31 when it arrives. I just added a cyclone to the DC and spent a bit of time considering the layout for the piping. Until this work is complete, I won't be starting a woodworking projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Jim, it will be interesting to see your chair project.
    For me, too... ROFLOL!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ooh, chairs are fun. I just did a set and it was amazing how much time I spent on laminating slats, cutting the curved legs, and all the other weird geometry to make them comfortable.

This weekend I took a nice big 70 bf pile of hickory, and got it jointed, planed and laid out to form the table to go with those chairs. In one day I went from a rough sawn stack of wood to the first table top section glued up. So far the table has been much less mental exercise than the chairs were but we'll see if that's still the case when I get to the butterfly leaves....

Gee Dennis, that sounds like a week to not repeat!

I made a sandpaper storage cabinet out of some scraps. Hopefully now I'll be able fo find the grit I want and keep the sheets flat......Rod.

Drawer open.jpgInstalled.jpg

Hung a door for an old friend (102 years old.) Door opening is 34", which meant I had to cut down a 36" door. Had to go to four places before I found a 36" solid core, six panel door. Cleaned dryer vent, and trouble shot dryer, for one of the widows in church. Installed new timer in her dryer today. Worked on figuring out how to build a crankshaft straightener for lawn mower engines. Got all the parts cut. Hoping to weld them up tomorrow. I have a couple of mowers with bent cranks waiting. Got mulching mower ready to run for leaf clean up. Blew driveway (800 feet long) out. Wife's birthday was yesterday. Made a cheese cake for wife's birthday, plus a lemon pound cake to share with widows and widower in our SS group. Before Covid, I would take a birthday cake to Wednesday night dinner at church,and group would share it. Cleaned up tomato plants in pots in back yard. Sprayed collards for cabbage loopers. As usual, made waffles on Saturday, and biscuits on Sunday morning. No woodworking shop time this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Jim, it will be interesting to see your chair project. Paul, I am impressed you went from applying laminate to replacing motherboards! I just glued up my second bent lamination - torquing on those clamps can make you sweat!

bent lamination clamped.jpg
    Hah, Mark, I have multiple incompetencies! I also have clamp envy looking at your glueup, especially those bessey deep clamps; those would come in handy. I can believe you worked up a sweat getting that all clamped up.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--