Thread: Refillable/Re loadable Rattle Can

Refillable/Re loadable Rattle Can

Does anyone know of a rattle can system where I can put my own finish in and pressurize it, then rinse and repeat when it's empty?

Working with some small parts for Christmas toys and finishing with waterborne poly that's colored with transtint dye. I can't stop thinking how much easier the job would be if I could spray instead of brushing.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

For the kind of work you are doing, consider an air brush. Just be sure it's able to move the more viscous waterborne products...many are; some are not. Air brushes are the workhorse for detail work and crafting for sure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Preval makes something sort of like this. Uses what looks like baby-food jars or small pint canning jars and a gizmo that goes on top. I think you pressurize it with CO2 cartridges.

At one time Woodcraft was selling them as was Ace Hardware.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

We keep a few of the Preval setups in the shop. We pick them up from the local autobody supply. Handy when needed.

Checked out the Preval system, looks like what I'm after.

Is there a way to clean the applicator between colors?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post

You just run whatever solvent needed through like a regular spray gun. You wont get a mile out of them, they are really more for very small custom mixed repair jobs (something you cant get in a rattle can anywhere). Like jim said, if your doing anything more than a couple a small inexpensive air brush setup (provided you have a compressor) would likely be much better suited. Look up your local auto body supply or perhaps an auto parts store that sells paint and you may be able to pick a single up and try it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post

I have used the Preval system several times and it has its place for sure. You will be happier having one pressure can left over when you are done than you will be if you end up needing an extra can that you do not have. I am just saying, factor the small cost of an extra can in and don't feel bad if you don't use it ;-)

I got mine at the local BORG.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Like jim said, if your doing anything more than a couple a small inexpensive air brush setup (provided you have a compressor) would likely be much better suited.
    A lot of air brushes are actually sold with small, dedicated compressors in the hobby world and beyond. The air requirements are very modest, so small and simple does the job. I had one like that decades ago, although the first one I owned for model car stuff back when I was a "youngster" was powered by a can of compressed air.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...