Thread: OSIRIS-REx Touches Asteroid Bennu

OSIRIS-REx Touches Asteroid Bennu

Touch and go landing, on an asteroid! can you say fly by wireless?
    Bill D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj0O...owZk2PqlvG_16M

They fly drones remotely. What gets me is the kind of precision they need to build into their computer programs to account for the latency.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

I understand that the amount of sample collected was so great that some is leaking back out. Rather than risk loosing more they will store it immediately rather than perform the elaborate steps need to actually weigh the amount. As I say, that’s my understanding, not necessarily correct.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

About a decade ago my wife and I were in Hawaii and stayed a few nights at a B&B near Mauna Kea. We had breakfast with some NASA scientists including a fellow Canadian, who were studying an asteroid in preparation for a mission to collect samples from it, don't think it was this project, think it was a Japanese mission called Hayabusa2 which is Japanese for Peregrine Falcon. The space craft is scheduled to deliver it's samples to earth in late 2020, hey that's about now! Maybe we'll see some news of it shortly.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayabu...ook%20samples.