Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xenetech Beware

Xenetech Beware

Just wanted to caution anyone that still runs Xenetech equipment to not pay in advance for any parts, new equipment, or upgrades from Xenetech. My apologies if this is already posted somewhere else.

I bought my engraving shop in Jan. 2020 which included 3 Xenetech machines. Two lasers and an rotary engraver. The former owners had nothing but good things to say about Xenetech. In July, my larger laser was starting to have problems with the laser power falling off most likely a CO2 needing recharged. I researched getting this re-charged but decided to ask Xenetech about an replacement. "Guy" at Xenetech sold me on getting an Iradion laser upgrade that would drop into my machine and make it better than new. Told me about all the scams surrounding companies that recharge lasers and did a great job of selling me on an upgrade. Hey.... I had no worries as everything I heard about Xenetech was how great they were. I was wrong. Xenetech required that I pay for the upgrade upfront by wire transfer which I did. Guy said the lead time would be about 2 weeks. This payment was thousands of dollars. Again, I had no worries based on everything I had heard.

We are now in October and no laser, my emails are not responded too and I can get nothing from them other than be patient. I decided to check the Better Business Bureau which I should have done to begin with. Xenetech has many complaints of taking payments up front for parts and in one case an entire new machine but no delivery and no refund. There are so many small engraving shops that have had this happen that we are collecting contact info to pool our resources to go after them. Just go the BBB and type in Xenetech Global. Read the complaints. Mine is going to be filed this week.

https://www.bbb.org/us/la/baton-roug...c-0835-1001853

Long story short is please don't pay them in advance for anything. Make them send the replacement part or upgrade to you first and then pay only if it works. Based on the people I have made contact with, Xenetech owes in excess of $100K to shops that have paid in advance and received nothing. If anyone here is in the situation please respond or email me.

I'm new to Sawmill Creek. I hope this can stay up long enough to help others that may be in my situation. Maybe if enough of us get together we can recover some of the money we have given them.

Thank You

Jim Morris
    Triumph Awards & Signs
    Lebanon, Mo
    Last edited by Jim M Morris; 10-25-2020 at 4:48 PM.

Your not the first to complain about Xenetech here. I also had a problem with Xenetech concerning software bugs when we purchased a new machine, my thread is still here if you want the details. FWIW they never provided the software fix.

I was told by a long time Xenetech distributor not to buy their equipment as they may not survive much longer. That was about a year ago when I was considering a used mechanical engraver.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Hi Jim,

Thanks for sharing your story. I just posted mine. I hope this can help people so we don't have to get more calls from other honest small business owners with similar stories to ours!
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....59#post3066159

So I need a new lense for my Xenetech laser, any suggestions?
    Camaster Stinger II, Xenetech XLT 24X36, 2 Xenetech 13X13, Sublimation, Sandcarve

I would look on ebay or online for independent resellers. You can try engraversnetwork.com but I do not believe they carry Xenetech since they were purchased by Trotec.

If you must go through Xenetech, I would not send payment until the item is received and in good/working condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Malone View Post
    I'd maybe give the guys at American Photonics a call. They should be able to come up with something to help you out. https://american-photonics.myshopify.com/
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Malone View Post

If you just need "the lens" find Cloudray Laser on Ebay. Measure the diameter of your current lens and choose your focus distance, normally 2"/50.8mm. They won't last forever if you clean them often but at $30-ish each they cost many time less than the spendy lenses.

If you want a spendy lens, a company called II-VI makes great lenses, but you have to buy the US versions to get the great ones
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

That sounds like my best option Kev, it’s a very small diameter lense and is just cemented into the holder. Last time I called Xenetech they wanted $500.00 for one! Thanks!
    Camaster Stinger II, Xenetech XLT 24X36, 2 Xenetech 13X13, Sublimation, Sandcarve

I need to post that Xenetech returned my money yesterday after holding it for two months and no laser. I believe without the publicity of this forum, I would not have gotten it back. I would suggest if you need to buy a part from Xenetech do it with a credit card only. If they don't ship the part you can get your money back through your card company easy. I hope they can get their act together and take care of the others that they owe.

Jim

11. Good for you Jim.

I have 3 Xenetech machines and have been a customer for decades. I ordered a fourth machine in October 2017 and sent $13,400.00 USD in good faith. The machine was never delivered. I cancelled the order and asked for my deposit back. I was given every reason imaginable as to why they could not return my funds. To this day (November 2020) I have not seen a penny back from Xenetech. Buyer beware my friends. Do not send money in advance to this company, it will be gone. It is borderline criminal how the company is managed.

Randall Flaman
    Scanplast Graphics Ltd.

And I just want to add that we never got our money back as well and it's been a year. Happy for Jim getting his back but there are still many other companies like mine who have not been paid back yet.

Alex, I was lucky with Xenetech I guess. Have you had any luck with the FTC or Federal Intra-State Commerce commission?

I wonder about this industry of engraving equipment. I wonder if the whole industry is corrupt. Laser recharging, equipment, etc. After my ordeal with Xenetech I ordered a brand new Epilog Helix system at the end of October through their distributor. Shipment due this Friday 12-11-20. Today, 3 days before shipment, I was informed by my distributor that Epilog discontinued the Helix and could not get a frame to build mine. They are offering me a new Fusion "Edge" 24 but can't ship till January 20 something and there is no information if it is even equivalent to the Helix or if it in fact exists and can be shipped. I heard nothing but good things about Epilog and hope this is a quirk. I must have angered the engraving Gods. At least I didn't have to pay anything up front. I have sent them notes and hope they do something. I spent 35 years in the capital equipment manufacturing industry for electronics assembly equipment. We never did these things to customers. Anyone out there want to get in business with me making laser engravers? We could capture the market if we just were honest and ethical. Crazy. I'm pretty much going to be out of business if I don't get another laser engraver soon. Is Trotec, or others honest? Don't know. I'm rambling late at night but I'm at my wits end in this industry. If an engraving manufacturer could be world class they would take the Market.

Randell,

I'm finally catching up to this. Thats bad. I have 3 Xenetechs, 2 lasers and a rotary, only 2 work. My one laser is getting old and I'm trying to get a new one from Epilog. Having problems with them too. Wish a quality manufacturer would produce engraving equipment. You guys don't stop going after them.

"... I wonder if the whole industry is corrupt."

Nah. Expensive maybe, but part of that is because of the sales numbers (IMO).

My story--

In my signature you'll notice a crapload of machines. All eleven rotary tool machines, two of the four C02 lasers and the vinyl cutter are all New Hermes/Gravograph machines. I had a 3rd New Hermes laser, a re-branded Universal known as the "Optima", a 25w machine born in '97, was my first laser, got it in 2001. Sold it to my BIL 6 years ago and he's run it daily since then. The other 2, a GCC Explorer I bought 5 years ago from a guy on this board, and a Chinese Triumph 1390/80w RECI. My 3 fibers are all Chinese, first was a Triumph 30w "portable", 2nd and 3rd I got 2 years ago off Ebay within a month of each other

The rotary machines: two C2000's (1981, 1983), one Vanguard 5000, two Vanguard 5000XT's (all 1989-ish vintage), one Vanguard 3200, three Vanguard 3400's (one cylinder equipped, all 1995 vintage), one IS400 point n'shoot (2008-ish) and one IS7000 (2004-ish).

The vinyl cutter is a late-80's/early 90's New Hermes rebranded Graphtec 20" machine.

ALL machines are fully functional EXCEPT for the first C2000. A Q1 retrofit will make it like new again if I wanted. It's problem was the 24v power supply cooked all the electronics...

The combined ages of all my working machines (including the Optima) comes to 359 years--! And 46 years for me--

In all that time and machine age, these have been my machine issues:\

The working C2000: Put in a Q1 retrofit kit like 25 years ago, since then, replaced the stepper motors about a year ago-

The Vanguard machines, ALL of them, nothing but wear n' tear maintenance, a few motors, brushes, lead screws, couple of limit switches-- total spent, maybe $3000. The EP modules that drive them, I've had issues with them at times, but they're computers, not 'machines'. My rep fixes or trades them out for $120. I think I've done this 4-times.

The IS400, haven't spent a dime in 11 years-

The IS7000- power supply went out, my local rep has been letting me borrow one, for 6 years now

Lasers:
    The 23 year old Optima lost it's power supply earlier this year, an $89 Amazon replacement fixed it. Otherwise, 2 belts, one set of gantry bearings. Still using the original lens..!

My 16 year old LS900 laser lost its power supply about 10 years ago, had a rebuilt overnighted from France, $1700... Had a broken stepper motor wire about a year ago shorted out, I fixed the wire but the short caused the X stepper to drag, which eventually took out the X-stepper driver in the controller. Gravograph fixed it for like $320-? I was expecting way more. And in June the tube blew some electronics, and is currently at Evergreen waiting to be shipped back...

My ~10 year old LS100 laser, had for 3 years now, no problems..

The GCC is 15 years old, I had to replace the rail bearing about 2 years ago, think it was $89...

My Chinese machines:
    My Triumph 1390, at about 3 years in, the X stepper motor ground wire broke within the Y dragchain, it was soldered to another length of wire and was a victim of the chain loop. I fixed it myself, been fine ever since...

The Triumph fiber had the scanhead go bad, replaced on warranty...

My 2 ebay machines, zero issues...

So in 46 human years and nearly 360 machine years, the only machine that's ever suffered any type of 'catastrophic' downtime has been my LS900. And aside from the GCC and Optima bearings, not one single mechanical failure that I can remember. And I have the worlds best machine rep. I could call him right now at midnight, tell him I need some brushes for one of my Bodine motors to finish a promised job, and he'd be here within an hour with them. -- I wouldn't be where I am today without him. AND a whole bunch of very reliable machines (knock on my head!)

So based on MY experiences in this business, I can attest the WHOLE industry isn't corrupt!
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 12-09-2020 at 2:18 AM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle