Thread: Spoon bits

Spoon bits

Anyone with any pearls of wisdom concerning their use. I've had a set in the drawer for a long time and have a couple things on the board that I want to use them for. Much obliged for any direction.

Blog Entries
    For accurate hole placement it helps to start with a gimlet. A spoon bit can wander when starting.

Before using them for doweling you may want to try a few test borings to check the fit with the dowels.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

A common use is probably drilling the angled holes for chair spindles. I don’t build chairs but Curtis Buchanan does and I’ve seen him use them in some of his YouTube videos. Perhaps some chair makers will chip in.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    Anyone with any pearls of wisdom concerning their use. I've had a set in the drawer for a long time and have a couple things on the board that I want to use them for. Much obliged for any direction.
    In my experience, their main benefit is to produce a round bottom pocket hole (no pointy bit that goes through the other side). Which is good for chairs, wheels, smoking pipes ...

On the other hand, i find them quite difficult to sharpen, to work with dry wood and to start a hole with. I think of them more as a carving tool than a drilling bit.