Thread: What Model is my DeWalt RAS?

What Model is my DeWalt RAS?

I've owned a DeWalt RAS for many years. I bought it about 15 years ago, already well used and the guy I bought it from did not have a manual for it. The original metal tag attached to the front of the base says it is a Model 7779, Type 1, Serial Number 82250946

When I search for a DeWalt 7779 manual online manualslib.com, it gives me the Model 7730 manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/68...?page=2#manual, which apparently includes the Model 7779 (model 7779 specs are included on page 2). According to this model 7730 manual, the Model 7779 has a 2.25 HP motor, but my machine is factory labeled 3 HP on the motor.

Someone who owned it before me hand-wrote "Model 7790" with a Sharpie along the side of the radial arm. But when I look at the Model 7790 manual, my machine is definitely not a model 7790. The Elevating Handle/Crank on my machine is near the front of the Radial Arm, as pictured in the Model 7730 Manual. The elevating handle on the Model 7790 is all the way at the back end of the Radial Arm, directly above the column that actually elevates the arm. There are also two locking levers at the back end of the Radial Arm on the Model 7790 I don't have on my machine. And the Bevel Clamp handle on my machine's yoke assembly looks very different than the one pictured in the explosion diagram I found in the manualslib.com 7730 manual.

So, I'm confused about what model and type I actually own. It is definitely a 10" RAS. It appears to be a variant in the Model 7770 series. But it has a 3 HP motor. If I contact Black & Decker, do you know if they can decode Model and Type from the machine's serial number? I'd appreciate any help I can get from this forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kevin B Smith; 10-25-2020 at 9:50 AM. Reason: add tags

You have a dual voltage (might be saying that wrong) motor, I wonder if the are rated higher than the standard one. I've noticed that before in other machines. It would have been an option when purchased probably. The tag is right, late 70's model I'd say. If you need more details to get parts, I'd guess that the 7790 parts diagram is correct for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    If you need more details to get parts, I'd guess that the 7790 parts diagram is correct for the most part.
    I bought a few 7790 parts several years ago, a "rip lock" and a "rip lock knob" for the Rollerhead Assembly. The threading on the Rip Lock Knob was not the same the threading in the Rollerhead Assembly - I think just a pitch (number of threads per inch) difference. So from that experience, I am reluctant to buy any more 7790 parts. I wonder if this is a hybrid machine with everything but the motor is 7770 series parts, but the motor might be 7790?

My primary interest in properly identifying the model is to get the correct manual and parts list. I'm retiring and we're downsizing our house and I don't know if I'll have room for this in my next home. So I may have to sell it or give it away and it would be nice to provide a manual and parts list for the next owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B Smith View Post
    I bought a few 7790 parts several years ago, a "rip lock" and a "rip lock knob" for the Rollerhead Assembly. The threading on the Rip Lock Knob was not the same the threading in the Rollerhead Assembly - I think just a pitch (number of threads per inch) difference. So from that experience, I am reluctant to buy any more 7790 parts. I wonder if this is a hybrid machine with everything but the motor is 7770 series parts, but the motor might be 7790?

My primary interest in properly identifying the model is to get the correct manual and parts list. I'm retiring and we're downsizing our house and I don't know if I'll have room for this in my next home. So I may have to sell it or give it away and it would be nice to provide a manual and parts list for the next owner.

It is an odd duck, I looked at OWWM.com machine registry and publications, not much out there for Dewalt 7779. Have you been there yet? Very possible that it is a hybrid, or as they changed the models appearance about yearly from the 60's into the 90's, it could just be a factory option. I doubt you'll get good info from BD. Good luck!

DeWalt RAS forum. Best forum for this. They also have a large FAQ page for using and restoring RAS's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Helmich View Post
    DeWalt RAS forum. Best forum for this. They also have a large FAQ page for using and restoring RAS's.
    Where do I find the DeWalt RAS Forum? I don't see it listed under Sawmill Creek Forums. Can you post a link to it here? Thank you.

What information do you need from the manual? I have a nearly identical DeWalt saw, although its 12" and 240v but looks almost identical. Its a 1531. I can either help you tune it up or send information on how to do that, or scan portions of my manual for you. Let me know if I can help.
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B Smith View Post
    Where do I find the DeWalt RAS Forum? I don't see it listed under Sawmill Creek Forums. Can you post a link to it here? Thank you.
    delphiforums.com

Looks like a 7730 or 40 to me. The 7790 looks a lot like it, but the arm is stronger, and does not have the dip towards the front, or the front crank. My former 7740 had that dip, plus the front crank.

7730 and 7740 were 10" in about 1983, when I bought the 40 new.

My 7790 is a 12" saw, not 10.

20180702_123727.jpg
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.