Thread: Grizzly Showroom Impressive

Grizzly Showroom Impressive

We live about 3 hrs. from Springfield, Mo., wife was wanting to go to an antique show there today. She didn't want to go alone so I tagged along. Drop her off at the antique place and I drove down to the Grizzly showroom. I've been there before but it's been several years, man that is an impressive display of tools. It is one thing thumbing through their catalog while at home sitting in the lazy boy but it's almost overwhelming to actually walk the aisles eyeballing all those tools under one roof. I don't really feel that I'm in need any additional tools or upgrades at this time but it was certainly nice afternoon looking over the Grizzly inventory.

Even though I'm not an owner of any of their tools, I'd thoroughly enjoy walking through that store I'm sure. You are correct that while pictures in the catalog are nice, being able to fondle the tools and look closely at stuff that never shows up in pictures is a great experience. The sheer scale of their showroom pretty much is like a one company trade show! LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Does it smell like a Harbor Freight? I've never figured out if it's the Chinese rubber, or Chinese cosmoline that provides the distinctive smell.

Do they still have their annual scratch & dent & demo sale?

I wish they hadn't got rid of their third store. They are just too far away for me (over 20 hours) now. I don't think it was anything close to their Springfield location but it still would have been nice to visit and possibly pick up a tool vs wait for it to be delivered to see it.

I'm considering my first Grizzly machine at present and I'd love to visit their large showroom. Unfortunately it's too far away. I would imagine that it must be a great time to visit in person.
    Dick Mahany.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Does it smell like a Harbor Freight? I've never figured out if it's the Chinese rubber, or Chinese cosmoline that provides the distinctive smell.
    Lol, I know that exact Harbor Freight odor you mention, but I didn't notice it at Grizzly. Different type of grease and rubber I guess. There is a Harbor Freight a couple miles from my house, the odor is overwhelming the minute you walk in the door.
    I guess one thing that was a little surprising was the amount of floor space dedicated to metal working and small hand tool displays. I only think in terms of woodworking tools but probably 30% of their floor space was metal lathes & metalworking tools.

I have a few Grizzly tools (Table Saw, Planer, Band Saw). So far I have had no issues and have been impressed on the precision of the table saw after 12 years. The planer is great. I have a powermatic jointer and its a great machine too.

Would love to browse the store. I would make sure I dont drive my truck there though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I wish they hadn't got rid of their third store. They are just too far away for me (over 20 hours) now. I don't think it was anything close to their Springfield location but it still would have been nice to visit and possibly pick up a tool vs wait for it to be delivered to see it.
    I too am surprised they don't have something east of the Mississippi. Their Pennsylvania store was located in a not-very-populous area. I wonder if they'd do better in the West Virginia/Virginia/Maryland area outside the mega $$$$ areas.

The grizzly showroom smells about 95% better than harbor Fright. I do wonder sometimes the danger in inhaling the air in HF all day like those workers do. There is no way it is safe to do. I have been to the Grizzly showroom in Washington State, its awesome. They did have scratch and dent stuff in the back, quite a few nice deals too.

Being Canadian I can only dream of having such a large vendor space...........The video I saw of the showroom was impressive...........Regards, Rod.

I was very impressed when we visited the Springfield palace in 2015. There's a WoodWorkers Supply here in town but it pales in comparison.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Do they still have their annual scratch & dent & demo sale?
    Hello all, Haven't been here in a long time...
    Grizzly cancelled the scratch & dent sales events this year due to COVID, but still has returned/scratched machines for sale. I visited a few weeks ago and there were some really good prices on machines (bandsaws in particular). A couple looked better than the one in my shop. Most of the machines I took a moment to view looked great or had a cosmetic blemish of some sort. It would be hit or miss activity because you must shop in person.

My wife didn't get it until I told her it would be like going into a shoe store with each shoe full of chocolate. Seriously, it's not that you have to love or even like Grizzly tools, it's just seeing all the tools. It's hard not to imagine all the stuff you could do.

FYI, I bought a 19" Grizzly bandsaw and it vibrated pretty badly. I didn't call Grizzly to try and fix it. I found that without the tires on the wheels the disposable blade would run great, no vibrations at all. So I just bought some blue urethane ones (Blue Max I think) and I can easily balance a nickle on end, start it up and then shut it down. I have to wonder how many people returned them because they couldn't solve the problem. Knowing what I now know I would take a chance and buy one in the dent and scratch section with the idea of replacing the tires.