Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Love It:

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Nah. It's about memories. I worked as a production welder back when I was in High School. I took a night course at the local VoTech school and parlayed that into a job. it sure beat flipping hamburgers for the summer. My work was MIG but there was a lot of stick welding going on. I enjoyed those two summers more than any job since. So yeah, burning flux is stinky but the memories are great.
    Cool Roger, they say smell is one of the most powerful triggers of memories. My son went through the local community colleges welding curriculum so he can probably relate to your memories more than I. I guess now that I think about it, welding smells do remind me of when he still lived at home and our nest didn't seem so empty. I still have some of the pieces he used as tests to get his certs. He was so proud of his work and so was I. Sorry if I seemed flippant with my response to your post.

Smell of first freshly cut lawn in the spring.
    Running a rough board through the planer and seeing the wood after the first pass.
    Drawers that fit the first time.
    Buying cherry plywood for under $50 a sheet.
    Turning on a restored vintage machine for the first time.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

The sound of a 24 valve Cummins diesel as it fires up in a parking lot... The sight and feel of a cutthroat trout that has inhaled one of my dry flies... Another amazing prairie sunset almost every day... I have no memories associated with smells because I have almost no sense of smell.