Thread: MLCS PowerLift Pro?

MLCS PowerLift Pro?

MLCS has a digitally controlled powered router lift which seems pretty cool and usefull but tech in a shop can a problem when it doesn't work. I do have a question to tech support asking it can be used as a traditional manual lift if it makes more sense or the tablet is a steaming pile of parts on the floor.

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shop...ift_pro_2.html

Any thoughts on this lift? At some point I want a good quality cast iron table with a lift and can see how usefull the multi-pass otions can be changing router height keeping hands on the work and without turning off the router. Of course the videos make it look like the best thing since sliced bread. It's not a lot more expensive than traditional lifts especially getting it bundled in a table/router/stand/lift package. My search for reviews showed mostly instructional videos from the manufactuer and not many real reviews.

It’ll work with out the tablet via the foot pedals.

Android tablets are cheap though and so are armored cases that will protect them from a fall or a drop in the pool.

Grizzly has a similar option available later this year.

I didn't see it, but it would be great if it had a Z height touch off like used on CNC routers.

Without that, I don't see much advantage to using an app, you still have to measure the bit height every time you change the bit.

The motor to lift the unit up or down is convenient, but not difficult with the Woodpeckers or Jessum Lifts.

Stumpy Nubs has a piece on this and some other expensive tools. He likes it. He said his tablet failed quickly but he got a new one under warranty and it has been fine.

I am happy with my home made router table with it's home made lift. I'm sure a cast iron topped router table would be better but mine does what I need it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    Stumpy Nubs has a piece on this and some other expensive tools. He likes it. He said his tablet failed quickly but he got a new one under warranty and it has been fine.

I am happy with my home made router table with it's home made lift. I'm sure a cast iron topped router table would be better but mine does what I need it to.
    I saw that but had my wife hold my wallet while I did.

I don't like the fact that it requires reducer sleeves (not included) to fit different router motors. They don't mention whether the 4.2" stock mount will also handle a Milwaukee 4.125" motor, or if a sleeve is available for that size.

It does not appear to have a mechanical height lock.

Capacitive sense touch screens (like on most phones and non-ruggedized tablets) can be erratic (including false "ghost" inputs) with sawdust and/or gloves, especially in very dry conditions where airborne sawdust may have significant static charge.

Throat plate inserts require a tool (included) to install/remove.

While very convenient (especially for plunge cuts), it's just one more thing to go wrong, and not enough $$ above comparable/superior mechanical lifts to make me comfortable about the robustness of the electronics. There is no mechanical backup for height adjustment if/when they fail. I would definitely have it plugged into a good surge suppressor!

Note: I have a Nova Galaxi and a Voyager, so I'm not averse to electronics on machines in the workshop, but robust electronics don't come cheap.

-- Andy - Arlington

Quote Originally Posted by Andy D Jones View Post
    I don't like the fact that it requires reducer sleeves (not included) to fit different router motors. They don't mention whether the 4.2" stock mount will also handle a Milwaukee 4.125" motor, or if a sleeve is available for that size.

It does not appear to have a mechanical height lock.

Capacitive sense touch screens (like on most phones and non-ruggedized tablets) can be erratic (including false "ghost" inputs) with sawdust and/or gloves, especially in very dry conditions where airborne sawdust may have significant static charge.

Throat plate inserts require a tool (included) to install/remove.

While very convenient (especially for plunge cuts), it's just one more thing to go wrong, and not enough $$ above comparable/superior mechanical lifts to make me comfortable about the robustness of the electronics. There is no mechanical backup for height adjustment if/when they fail. I would definitely have it plugged into a good surge suppressor!

Note: I have a Nova Galaxi and a Voyager, so I'm not averse to electronics on machines in the workshop, but robust electronics don't come cheap.

-- Andy - Arlington
    Good points. Awaiting to see what they say regarding manual operation. Someone made another good point about a touch plate. I have that on my CNC

Oh good, another cool new tool to lust after! Thanks John!!!

Curious about the touch plate too.

"Oh good, another cool new tool to lust after!"

Isn't that why we're here