Thread: Considering buying a S'hanger

Considering buying a S'hanger

We are considering a home in an executive fly park. The house is on a 1 acre lot and has a 40X50 clear span airplane hanger on the property. The access road to the house doubles as a taxi way the hanger and house share the driveway.

I'm not a pilot, so the hanger becomes a shop-hanger (s'hanger). There are some issues:
    1) Some time (years) back the current owner installed a 10'X50'X8' office inside, across the back of the s'hanger. He had his GC cut a (6'?) section, dead center, from the horizontal bottom girder of the roof truss in order to access the space above the office addition for storage. None of the cross bracing was effected. The owner told me he did not get engineering advice for the cut. I haven't checked the end post for plumb (yet). Seems sketchy, but the building is still standing and about 3 years ago a solar panel array was added to the roof. My thought is to slab some 2X8s on each side of the cut out and give up on the storage as it would be unaccessible without a lot of yoga and contortionist skills.

2) The s'hanger has two vertical bi-fold hanger doors (outward swing) that are uninsulated. One of the doors is sagging leaving a 2" gap at the bottom of the joint between the doors The hanger doors are probably 10'-12' tall. Not really an air tight arrangement for conditioning the s'hanger area. I was thinking leaving the hanger doors in place and building an insulated interior wall across the hanger door opening for air/water/vapor/thermal barrier. The hanger doors would be undisturbed and remain functional but their use would be blocked by the new wall. When the children pick out my last home, the wall could be removed and and the space returned from s'hanger to hanger.

3) The s'hanger has a 100 amp service and the main power feed is reportedly in underground conduit to the meter box on the house exterior maybe 30' away. I've not looked at the size of the supply wire nor the size of the conduit. I imagine running additional lighting, an air compressor (20 amp), a 5hp DC (30 amp), one min-split with two AH's for the sewing/office space and hopefully some conditioning (2 mini-splits?) for the 1500 sq ft s'hanger and one of either 3hp lathe, 3hp table saw, 2-3 hp jointer, 16-32 drum sander, simultaneously. I have to check the existing mini-split power load. I'm thinking a 200 amp panel may be needed.

Is this the stupidest thing you ever heard of? Real estate is in a bubble in the area. You know the story on building materials. And, another lumber mill mysteriously caught fire out on the left coast this week.

Thoughts? Reactions? Cautions?

And, thank you

I can’t offer to much insight into the structure, other than getting an engineers analysis done, as I can’t get past the availability of an aircraft hanger. Go to your local airport and take a flight, build your hrs, get your ticket and build an RV. That would be vans aircraft.

i think it sounds like a wonderful shop space. I have looked at these before as well.

I think your idea to build an interior wall behind the doors has merit because it preserves the intended function of the building for future owners as well as the "fit" in the community while providing you with the climate control you need for your personal intended purpose for the building. You may want to install a double doorway or removable panel behind the "good" sliding door so you have a way of moving larger things in and out of the space...slide that one side open enough to expose the interior wall door/opening and you're golden.

I'd also be seriously looking at upgrading the electrical service to the building for your intended use.

And lastly... "Holy big wonderful space to work in, Batman!!!" Jealousy abounds.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...