Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: boggs vacuum box

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    If you make more holes and over the full width you could then cover the excess ones with package tape for narrow stock.
    Nice modification Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Thanks for sharing Mark. Had not seen that technique before. I don’t do shop sawn veneer much, but the minimal work to put it together would make it worth it even for a one time need.
    You are welcome Phil. A cheap substitute for a wide belt sander.

Thx for the info Mark. That's new to me and I'll be using it soon on a dresser project with curved sides.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Thx for the info Mark. That's new to me and I'll be using it soon on a dresser project with curved sides.
    You are welcome Bill, I will look forward to your build

Question: Would guide rails on the edges be necessary, or does the work just go straight on it's own?

I use a melamine surface on mine, but sometimes the work rides to the side....no vac holes. This looks like something I need to try.

Thanks,
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

No guide rails needed. The suction is pretty impressive and there is not much movement at all of the veneer/laminate.

Thanks Mark, I will give it a try.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    In his design, Brial uses slots and you used holes. Are there any advantages/disadvantages of one over the other?

Instead of removing the table, a thin strip of metal fastened right at the end of your vacuum box would fit down between the hinged table and the planer bed.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    In his design, Brial uses slots and you used holes. Are there any advantages/disadvantages of one over the other?

Instead of removing the table, a thin strip of metal fastened right at the end of your vacuum box would fit down between the hinged table and the planer bed.
    Lee, I am not sure of the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other. The strip of metal is a great idea and would allow me to pop the box in and out almost effortlessly. Thanks Lee!

Great idea !!! Will use it in future... THANKS

A question: has anyone tried using one of these vacuum boxes in an attempt to eliminate snipe on, say,4/4 stock after one side is jointed smooth?

Cherry to a thin 1/16 inch, about 0.06 Uniform grain helped

veneer 1.jpgveneer 2.jpgveneer 3.jpg

Very interesting jig.

If I understand what's happening, the suction is sufficient to hold down the thin workpiece, enough to keep it from rising into the cutters and getting destroyed, but not too much suction to prevent the rollers from moving it through. If I have it right, then very clever and I look forward to giving this a try. Thanks for sharing!

Edwin

You are welcome Edwin. This morning I peeled off a 1/32 inch veneer from my bandsaw and ran it through the vacuum box afterwards. I don't have a caliper but I estimate I was at 1/40 inch. My cherry grain was ideal this morning. I do not think I can reliably get 1/40 inch but it can be done.

veneer thin 1.jpgveneer thin 2.jpgveneer 3.jpgveneer 4.jpgveneer 5.jpg