Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a new hammer

I need a new hammer

Any recommendations on a particular brand/model? Just need a solid ~16oz with domed head. Have a lot of cut and forged nails to drive on a couple projects. Building a boarded bookcase and the Underhill Nail Cabinet.

Happy to support a more custom tool maker or just grab something from a big box store.

I have two ancient Warrington hammers from Record.

The balance feels right to me, and they're not heavy.
    One is quite lightweight, and I drive Brad pins with it when I don't want to haul out my pin nailer.

https://www.amazon.com/Bahco-480-12-.../dp/B00TT5EUA8

I swing an Estwing-many varieties.

How much do you want to spend. One from Mark Martinez is on my wish list.

Blog Entries
    Estwing hammers are about $30 and can be found in many stores.

https://www.estwing.com/collections/...hammer-leather

Having grown up using these one of my big thrills was finding one for a few bucks while out rust hunting.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hammers...
    Hammers, Cobbler's.JPG
    Cobbler's style? several weights out there. some merely need a new handle, like this one...
    Hammers, Champion claw.JPG
    16oz Champion Claw hammer.....be sure to get a hammer with a wood handle....Just a plain, smooth face, does not need to have a "rip claw".

Many like them, I am not a fan of Estwing. Mostly because I prefer a wood handle, that's true also of my titanium head framer (and I still use my old hart more often than that). For this kind of work, I've been using an old Stanley claw. Although, if I was looking new.. I'd probably look at Dalluge with a straight handle (I do like hatchet handles, but more for framing).
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I have carried and used a steel Estwing (still the trusty outdoor beater) and got myself a pretty claw hammer for the woodshop, which I love.
    Years later, I was using Grandpa's old hammer that I keep in the garage. I could no longer tolerate the beat up and loose handle and went to work on it.
    Just a little attention to the head and a new, custom fitted handle cleaned it up nicely. It's now my go to hammer. That's because of the handle.
    Upshot -- consider making yourself a great handle for a common hammer head. Sure worked for me.

If you use a wood handle, and don't 'customize' it for your comfort.. you're missing out
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I like my Stiletto......
    First hammer that I owned that has a magnet for the nail.

are you guys using framing hammers to sink cut nails in furniture?
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Crucible lump hammer.

Nope, retired both of my 24oz framers....
    Blue plastic estwing handles? Unable to keep a secure grip on one....usual result being a "Heads up!"....Never like the fibreglass handles..they tend to shatter in the winter outdoors. VOE.

Small brads and nails? I have a 7oz "Riveting" hammer, with the cross pean....

Hammers?
    Bench clean up, hammered.JPG
    Might have a few...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 10-23-2020 at 1:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Nope, retired both of my 24oz framers....
    Blue plastic estwing handles? Unable to keep a secure grip on one....usual result being a "Heads up!"....Never like the fibreglass handles..they tend to shatter in the winter outdoors. VOE.

Small brads and nails? I have a 7oz "Riveting" hammer, with the cross pean....

Hammers?
    Bench clean up, hammered.JPG
    Might have a few...
    I also have a hammer problem The only fiberglass one I have is an electricians hammer that somehow ended up in my truck cab one day and I couldn't figure out whose it was.

I asked because of comments about stilettos and other ti head hammers.. yea, they're 15-17oz (mine's a 16oz), but I still wouldn't use it for this.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Check out Vaughan hammers. I settled on their hammers in my second year as an apprentice and still use them today. Made in the US. I have mostly hickory handles, everything from a 28 oz checker face to a 10 oz trim hammer.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.