Thread: Card Scraping vs Stanley 80

Card Scraping vs Stanley 80

Why would one employ scraping with a card scraper and suffer hand fatigue when a hand scraper such as the Stanley 80 could resolve this? Are there overwhelming advantages to card scraping or is it more personal preference? Are the results of one much better than the other?

Probably personal preference. I like a card scraper because it has more edges to switch to as one gets dull, and you have more control over your scraping angles. I also don't tend to get too much fatigue when using one. If I am doing much more than say a 24" x 48" table top at one time, I just break down and use power sanders. Scrapers and hand tools are fun and all, but at some point time becomes valuable.

I only scrape what I can't plane. If it's flat and open I'll use a #80, if it's curved or cramped a card scraper.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

The #80 has a very limited range. I cannot recall when I last used mine. It only gets pulled out for removing glue lines.

The cabinet scraper (aka card scraper) has not only more sides available, but allows one to use an edge more intuitively, both with regards the best angle for a spot, or focussing the action to a small area. One rarely scrapes large areas, so fatigue is never something I consider.

Regards from Perth

Derel

I use my no 80 for glue scraping or for removing old varnish, and prefer the regular card scraper if working a finished surface. As mentioned above, with a regular old card scraper you are in more control of the angle and get more feedback from the surface.

Card scraper vs. #80 and others? One word, Benjamin Braddock..."touch".
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

Add me to the glue scrapping list. The 80 is a great tool, I use it to scrape glue both glue lines and squeeze out. Because I mostly use hide glue and clean as I go where it really shines is cleaning glue off the bench slab after a glue up.

ken

Blog Entries
    Apples and oranges to me. The card scraper allows more finesse and is more versatile. The #80 style tool uses the sole as a reference surface and I use it differently.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

An alternative

I use a "floor scraper" with a standard steel blade.

I have the same limitation using card scrapers - it makes for a short day.

Earlier posts have shown the Red Devil paint scraper to be similarly effective, with a filed hook.

Here's what I use.

http://imgur.com/gallery/JShuy6R