Thread: Shaper spindle "brake pad"

Shaper spindle "brake pad"

Does anyone know what I would google to find this piece of friction material for my shaper spindle brake? This is an 80s SICMA FN900 (not scmi) machine. I already reached out to SCMI in GA and they said they could not help me. It's definitely Italian made, but cannot find any parts info online.
    I am hoping this is something I could find on the shelf somewhere? I just don't know what I would call it. Some people have suggested trying to retrofit an automotive brake pad, but that doesn't seem like a viable option. This is almost like a woven ceramic material, not a "solid" material that brake pads are made of. I think it needs to have some give since it is acting on a round object like that to conform to the curve. Unless I am way overthinking this.
    Thanks
    image0 (2).jpg
    image0 (1).jpg

Looks like the material that was used on band brakes. Search for someone who relines band brakes as used on older tractors and automobiles.
    Good luck
    Ron
    Last edited by Ron Selzer; 10-23-2020 at 8:52 AM. Reason: Tablet puts in what it wants not what is entered

Probably the same material used on bandsaw brakes.

As others have said, it's just regular brake pad material, which is what they actually use for bandsaws as well. Any shop that re-lines brakes or possibly even clutch discs could help. Also, if I had that assembly in front of me and a random brake pad from a modern car, I would probably figure something out. Good luck with it.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

If it is seldom used leather would work. Check a brake or clutch shop for relining material.
    I have no idea about gluing to the steel band. Traditional brake linings were riveted on at each end with countersunk brass rivets. Brass so they do not score the steel drum. AFAIK all disc brake pads are glued never riveted, too modern.
    Bill D.

"Friction materiel" is the search key

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WOVEN-BRAKE...kAAOSwjkBdSrLH

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5R55E-Ford-...Cclp%3A2334524
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 10-23-2020 at 12:04 PM.

How wide and what holds it to the backing? Does it even have a backing piece of iron?
    Some older San Francisco street cars still use pine 2x4's for track brakes.
    Bil lD
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 10-23-2020 at 12:08 PM.

What everyone has said. Here's an inexpensive source.

mcmaster.com/brake-lining/

Thanks guys,
    This helped. Especially the McMaster link. Just what I needed.
    I'm hoping I can just drill through it with a regular old drill bit. I guess I'll find out.
    Thanks much!

I had a brake "band" like that for an old rototiller that delaminated and an industrial machine/repair shop fixed it easily. Mine wasn't riveted so the right adhesive was the issue. Should be an easy fix.