Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 dollars a sq foot for a windstorm engineered building?

40 dollars a sq foot for a windstorm engineered building?

I had someone look at my shop today to get an estimate for adding onto my existing building. Obviously I need more than one estimate but I $40/ sq foot was a bit steep for just a basic open storage building. I wasn't even going to have him put electrical in it. Our windstorm requirements are 150 mph rated in the south.

I wasn't even going to remove the wall, just have him use flashing to connect the new building

I’m not sure of the situation in Texas but in my area the price of materials has multiplied over the last 6 months. It’s an expensive time to build around here.

Obviously see what the other estimates are however a building that's engineered to a high wind load will obviously be more expensive due to engineering and construction costs.

As others have said material is in short supply and expensive now.

I was reading that groups are petitioning the US government to come to an agreement with us on softwood lumber trading agreements and remove the 20% tariff. The tariff and shortages have increased prices dramatically.

It will be interesting to hear about your other estimates, please kepp us posted........Rod.

Here I thought you were going to wonder why it was so cheap. I built a 16x40 building to store my organ trailer recently and it was about $70/sf (with the other bids ranging well north of $100). A basic shell with no interior finishing or insulation and no electric, T1-11 for siding, plain asphalt shingle roof, the only splurge was Azek for the trim. Engineered for snow load but not wind. Having to dig and pour for a foundation below frost line will explain some of it. I don't understand how building can be so cheap in the south and southwest; it's not as though the construction guys around here are getting rich.

That's funny. I had one guy say the price of steel was down right now because they just aren't selling much. Although that was probably 4 or 5 months ago. The guy I had give me an estimate a couple days ago said that steel prices are still down, but will probably start following the high lumber prices.

Could always hold off for a year or so. I just want to do the expansion before they change up the codes and require it to be built higher above flood stage or something like that.

Building costs are always geographically influenced for a list of reasons. But since you have one quote, you need a few more based on the same "quote this" specifications you gave to the first response so you can determine if it's inline for your area or higher/lower. The only way to do that is to get multiple quotes. Given you have that wind rating requirement, it's unlikely to ever be "low cost" to construct even a building shell.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    Could always hold off for a year or so. I just want to do the expansion before they change up the codes and require it to be built higher above flood stage or something like that.
    If it's anticipated that codes will change to reflect higher flood levels, then that may be a reason not to build in that particular spot. It drives me crazy when people build where they ought not to & them expect emergency funding when they get flooded out.

Frank where I'm at the flood risk is the zoned as the lowest they have. I'm just saying the sooner I build the building the way I want, the better because you never know what they might change code wise.

The good news is I got a REALLY good deal on my property if they really are going for $40/ square foot.

Hi Travis
    If you want to get competitive quotes and have them build exactly what you want it's important to tell them what that is. Arm waving is not really good enough. A decent sketch and a list of particulars is needed. Listen to each bidder and incorporate what they say. Go back to the low bidder with a list of questions about what he may not have included and you'll be in position to get what you need at a fair price.

Blog Entries
    My daughter is looking at a barndominium building. Local builder who has been doing metal building for 17 yrs and is building a lot of these local just quoted her $50k for a 30x55 shell. Metal building, with std slab with 24" footings, wood frame structure with doors and windows, thin insulation. Not bad, $33 a square foot. Not much different for red metal which would withstand wind better. pole is cheaper but has floating slab.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Tom, Most of the contractors in my area are so busy that they don't hardly aver get back people even if they drove an hour to come out and see me. What they do is they drive around and then pick and choose which jobs they want to do. I've only had two people come out and so far neither got back to me.

Blog Entries
    There's a reason why contractors don't want to price your project, you just need to figure out what it is & fix it. There have been a number of posts suggesting why, so you should follow up on those. I'm a contractor & I'm not interested in pricing a job where:
    - the owner doesn't have a good, clear set of drawings & specifications
    - the owner thinks they know all about what they want, but clearly doesn't
    - the owner is really cheap to the point where they have unrealistic expectations of what they will be getting for their money
    - the owner wants to half-ass everything to save money
    A contractor needs to make a profit if he's going to stay in business & if they aren't giving you quotes, then that tells you that they don't think they can make any money and/or they think you'll be problematic to work for.

Tom's comment is spot on & one of the most important things to do before asking for quotes. Have you done that?