Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LN Sharpening Jig

Shucks! Just too late. I have your eclipse guide sitting in the garage, waiting to be filed into shape. Before I bought it, I looked everywhere because I couldn't believe that no one had just stepped up the price point a little bit and done exactly what you've got sitting there.
    Last edited by Douglas Mosman; 10-23-2020 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Pollack View Post
    Rob, will the new jig work with Japanese chisels and plane blades? Thanks. -Howard
    Hi Howard,

The short answer is...I’m not sure. Japanese chisels have so much variability in both length and section. We designed it to fit the widest range of edge tools possible, keeping in mind it is meant to be an entry level guide, though at a much higher quality. Perversely, this meant it would be incompatible with some of our own chisels (butt chisels, mortise chisels). Shorter chisels are always an issue with a projection jig....as are really thick/deep sections.

I’m up at the cottage right now, and don’t have access to a lot of my files, so will give a better overview when I get back....

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks Rob. -Howward

Howard, I experimented with this guide some years ago, and can say that it is an interesting adaption of the Eclipse style guide, as we have come to expect from Veritas.

Rob’s comment is actually spot-on. Japanese chisel blades can be pretty short, and this makes it very difficult to get sufficient projection to work the bevel in the lower angles in this style of guide (that includes the Eclipse and LN). Some Japanese chisels worked well, and others not so much. The standard Western bevel edges and firmer chisels I tried were all easy peasy.

Regards from Perth

Derek