Thread: Table Saw Dust Port

Table Saw Dust Port

I have a Grizzly 2hp dust collector that I have rebuild into a cyclone with a dust deputy and Wynn filter and increased the pipe size to 5". It works pretty good for me on my ...table saw, jointer , miter saw. I have a small run of 5" metal duct with gates at each piece of machinery.

I have a Grizzly GO690 table saw that has a 4" duct on the side and I have a Excalibur over arm blade collection. Everything works very well. There is some dust accumulation in the cabinet base but nothing bad.
    So I have 5" main hose spit to two 4" (one for below and one for overhead)
    I need to move my hose hookup and was wondering something.

Would it be worth it to increase the 4" port on the table saw to 5" ? So then I would have a 5x5x4 Wye for my hookup.

This pic shows my hookup better. The Flex hose is only 5' long so I can move the saw around a little... Thanks

tablesaw fitting.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Burke; 10-22-2020 at 1:47 PM.

I don't think you will gain much by doing it. There are always eddy currents in a box with a bunch of protrusions, as in a table saw. you know where the points of build-up are. I will occasionally take the air compressor wand, stick in in the cabinet while the DC is running and give it a shot or ten. The air will lift the compacted dust and it is will be gone. I am curious, what is the size of your over-arm pick up? is the 4" unwieldy above the table. If the overarm has a 2" outlet, you might increase the cabinet velocity by reducing the OA to the 2".

If a collector is designed for 4 in hoses I would think 5 in would decrease the suction power.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    If a collector is designed for 4 in hoses I would think 5 in would decrease the suction power.
    Performance might be degraded, but it's not about "suction"...it's about air flow. Dust collectors work by moving air volume rather than large differences in pressure like a shop vac or similar. So if the inlet was originally sized by the DC manufacturer to perform best with a 4" port, increasing the size of the port many not provide any additional air flow and consequently, may not provide any better performance. But if the impeller on the unit is physically capable of moving more air with that additional duct area available, there many be a measurable increase in air flow. What we don't know here is what the actual input size was on that Grizzly 2hp unit, however. 'Just that the OP increased the duct size in front of the cyclone.

OP, I don't believe you'll get any benefit from increasing the size of the port on the saw, especially since you're splitting it with the overarm collector. You'r already "pushing the limits" of your system's air flow, I suspect.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jack, the Excalibur arm is 4" on the far end and then goes to 3" over the blade..it works fantastic !!
    My dust collector is a different machine since I rebuilt it. It really moves some air and works great for my small basement shop.

overhead.jpg

Mike

If it aint broke...

I'm interested in the rebuild of the DC. Adding a cyclone would cause a loss of CFM unless you have eliminated the filter. In that case all the harmful particles are going right thru.