Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dewalt 735 shutting off...

a breaker that has tripped numerous times especially one that small will not hold full amperage and wil trip sooner each time.
    Probably once you install the new breaker in the planer it will work ok.
    Good luck
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    A quarter turn is 1/64” isn’t it? That is painfully slow...but I know how it is and have been there. I usually take 1/32” off per pass in hardwoods unless it’s very wide 10” + and the last couple passes, but mine has the stock straight knives.
    Today I planned 8” wide cherry, doing 1/32 of an inch at a time. I didn’t have any issues.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

If you're not sure how accurate the internal motor thermal overload is then you can bypass it and wire in an external one. You would then have the advantage of being able to dial in the exact amperage you want it to trip at.

It might be worth investing in a clamp-on ammeter. I have one and split a heavy duty flat extension cord so the conductors are separate, tape as required. The clamp must go around only one conductor. With that I can tell how many amps the motor is actually drawing.

I watched a dozen videos about a helical cutter’s advantages, but saw few comments hint about the problem many of us have after putting a helical head in a 735: the extra force needed for cuts takes a toll on more than just the circuit breaker.

My tripped breaker only happened once (so far) because it came at the same time as a shredded belt. Since then, I’ve made 1/4 turns my standard. After running ~8 bd ft of poplar (using a new belt and 1/4 turns) I inspected the belt. Already a couple grooves show signs of heat and friction. When I plane oak it might get interesting.

One post here made a good point: the 735 wasn’t built to use a helical head. I like the cut quality, and will keep the new head. But I’m thinking ahead about what planer to go to when this one fails. What are serious home woodworkers buying?

Grease those posts. Mine rusted and it binded up making it useless.

David, that's the first mention I've seen on Dewalt planer with helical head. They are pretty slow with the standard knives.
    A friend asked me to help him plane some 20' boards.....excruciating, couldn't pick up my feet. Had to just slide 'em about
    an inch at a time. I should have demanded a new pair of shoes !

I realize that this is a bit off topic, but... I have thought about replacing the butterhead on my 735 with the Shelix head but due to cost and the fact I'm not a mechanic, I decided not to. So, my question it this . . . With the number of posts here that indicate a problem with overloading the motor to the point of tripping the overload switch on the planer, it would appear to me that this means that replacement of the heads is not a good idea because the planer is not made with the proper specs for the spiral butterhead. Am I wrong? No one has to convince me that spiral heads are better, quieter, give a better finish, and are great at dealing with figured wood. I have a Jet Helical Head jointer which I love. I just thing that this might be one of the reasons that Dewalt never offered a helical head as an option.

I said it earlier in this thread (or another one similar to it), but I really don’t think these planers were engineered or built with a helical head upgrade in mind and they don’t stand up as well as straight knives to the increased load under continuous / frequent use.

The 735 is already a screamer with a universal motor that can only take off 1/32” in hardwood with straight knives on good day. The continuous engagement of a spiral head is too much load for this little planer that really is a pretty excellent machine for what it is in stock form.
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    David, that's the first mention I've seen on Dewalt planer with helical head. They are pretty slow with the standard knives.
    A friend asked me to help him plane some 20' boards.....excruciating, couldn't pick up my feet. Had to just slide 'em about
    an inch at a time. I should have demanded a new pair of shoes !
    That planer looks like it's 2 speed. Did your friend have it set on slow speed? I had a Delta 22-580 for a while which was also 2 speed. I tried both speeds on domestic species and couldn't notice any difference in finish between the two speeds. Perhaps the lower speed helps with 'difficult' woods.