Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The President Whom No One Voted For

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Just my flimsy opinion, but I'm thinking that "never be(ing) allowed to work again" kinda goes against that 'Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness' thing... no?
    Just lobbying. Plenty of other work to do. Selling access to government after serving in government is wrong and has gotten out of hand.

Blog Entries
    I’m going for David Rice Atchison. This from Wikipedia:

Purported one-day presidency[edit]

Inauguration Day—March 4—fell on a Sunday in 1849, and so President-elect Zachary Taylor did not take the presidential oath of office until the next day. Even so, the term of the outgoing president, James K. Polk, ended at noon on March 4. On March 2, outgoing vice president George M. Dallas relinquished his position as President of the Senate. Congress had previously chosen Atchison as President pro tempore. In 1849, according to the Presidential Succession Act of 1792, the Senate president pro tempore immediately followed the vice president in presidential line of succession. As Dallas's term also ended at noon on the 4th, and as neither Taylor nor Vice President-elect Millard Fillmore had been sworn-in to office on that day, it was claimed by some of Atchison's friends and colleagues that on March 4–5, 1849, Atchison was Acting President of the United States.[22][23]
    Historians, constitutional scholars and biographers all dismiss the claim. They point out that Atchison's Senate term had ended on March 4.[4] When the Senate of the new Congress convened on March 5 to allow new senators and the new vice president to take the oath of office, the secretary of the Senate called members to order, as the Senate had no president pro tempore.[22] Furthermore, the Constitution doesn't require the President-elect to take the oath of office to hold the office, just to execute the powers. Also, as Atchison never swore the presidential oath either, he could not have acted as President.[4] Most historians and scholars assert that as soon as the outgoing President's term expires, the President-elect automatically assumes the office, although some claim instead that the office is vacant until the taking of the oath.[4]

the story goes that Atchison got drunk that Saturday night and slept all day Sunday so he would also have the distinction of being the only president to sleep through his entire term of office. Cynics might suggest that he was the first to sleep through hIs term of office but we won’t go there.

in Atchison Kansas, there is a Presidential Library for Atchison. It’s a shelf in the public library.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    the story goes that Atchison got drunk that Saturday night and slept all day Sunday so he would also have the distinction of being the only president to sleep through his entire term of office. Cynics might suggest that he was the first to sleep through hIs term of office but we won’t go there.
    Nobody for president, everyone for vice!

It was reported that once a reporter asked Harry a stupid question, to which he replied "Horse Manure." Later another reporter asked Bess if that bothered her. She said "No, you should hear what he used to say!"

Ford was a good president.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gibbons View Post
    Ford was a good president.

True, but he wasn't popular for pardoning Nixon. He did what was right for the good of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    True, but he wasn't popular for pardoning Nixon. He did what was right for the good of the country.
    Yeah- I didn't agree with that decision at the time, but I acknowledged that it was his decision, not mine, and I respected his integrity.

He was absolutely a good honest universally respected man.