Thread: Power Feeder - Cantek (CoMatic)

Power Feeder - Cantek (CoMatic)

I want a by a poweer feeder Cantek (Co Matic) DC40 with Akhurst.
    I wonder to know about my choice, should I go with the 120V or 240V (1 phase)

Guy

The only factor is what suits your shop better. 120/240 has zero bearing on the feeder. We have 2
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 10-21-2020 at 8:53 PM.

Does your shop have lots of 240v outlets? Most likely you have a lot more 120v outlets. Think about what you will use it on. A shaper, table saw, jointer? Most of them will most likely be 240v and tie up at least one outlet. What sort of dust collector do you use? Is it portable? If so it'll most likely be tying up another outlet. When you plan on using the feeder will you be using multiple tools? If so you may find yourself swapping back and forth as you unplug one to plug the other in. A power feeder doesn't draw a lot of power so there's no downside to using 120v.

Relatively low current for either 120 or 240 so it's your choice. I wired a second 240 outlet next to the shaper outlet so I went 240. I called Shopgear to inquire about buying another that will sit on a 3 phase machine. He said if you buy the 3 phase one it can easily be changed to single phase. I think he said you could change to 120V too. Id suggest calling Shopgear (they sell the DC40 also).

Shopgear is who most of my customers have gotten their Comatics from. No opinion one way or the other. I didn't realize you could even get a feeder in 110V.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

We were told the same thing as Joe mentions from Shopgears. Every DCXX feeder is the same and whether its 120, 240, single or three phase, its just a simple wiring issue in the control box. When we ordered one time they said it didnt matter if they had the voltage required in stock they would just re-wire as needed and re-label the feeder accordingly.

Like Alex says, its a shop issue. Do you plan to wire the feeder in with the shaper, will you be moving it around from machine to machine, etc.. If its a feeder that will bounce around and your a single phase shop I would think being able to plug it in to anything or any extension cord may be handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    We were told the same thing as Joe mentions from Shopgears. Every DCXX feeder is the same and whether its 120, 240, single or three phase, its just a simple wiring issue in the control box. When we ordered one time they said it didnt matter if they had the voltage required in stock they would just re-wire as needed and re-label the feeder accordingly.

Like Alex says, its a shop issue. Do you plan to wire the feeder in with the shaper, will you be moving it around from machine to machine, etc.. If its a feeder that will bounce around and your a single phase shop I would think being able to plug it in to anything or any extension cord may be handy.
    Thank you all or the informatons, in my case I will see when the feeder will be in the shop, I have both 120-240 and like Mark said i's only the wiring in the control box.
    Guy