Thread: Chuck for Delta 46-111

Chuck for Delta 46-111

I'm a fairly well accomplished woodworker. I have an older Delta 46-111 lathe that I've used occasionally in the past. Now, I'd like to start turning some pepper mills. In watching videos, a chuck is needed. I've done a little research including past posts on this site. Would a Nova G3 be a good selection? I noticed Tools Plus has a G3 bundle for about $130. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

The Nova G3 is a nice lower budget chuck. I have a few of them and several of it's bigger brother, the SuperNova2. You will ned to know what spindle size your lathe is. I personally would recommend the G3 insert type. In that case you will need an insert that is the same as your lathe spindle. If you ever have a need for a chuck on another lathe with a different spindle, then you can just buy another adapter to fit the lathe and use your original chuck. $130 is a good price for the bundle if it has several different size jaws and such. You can usually buy the G3 on sale with the standard 2" jaws and wrench for around $99.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Steve,

Thank you, very much, for the suggestion. I sincerely appreciate it. My manual says my spindle is machined for #2 morse taper shank tools and has a 5/8" hole; threaded 1"-8 for mounting faceplates, etc. I really don't anticipate ever changing lathes, so does that change your thoughts?

Thanks,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BOB OLINGER View Post
    Steve,

Thank you, very much, for the suggestion. I sincerely appreciate it. My manual says my spindle is machined for #2 morse taper shank tools and has a 5/8" hole; threaded 1"-8 for mounting faceplates, etc. I really don't anticipate ever changing lathes, so does that change your thoughts?

Thanks,

Bob
    Bob, I have a number of Nova chucks including a bunch of Supernovas and a couple of G3 chucks. I've used them all on lathes from a Jet mini to my Powermatic 3520b and all performed nicely. The larger chucks are probably better for larger and heavy work but the G3 is definitely no slouch. I don't hesitate to recommend it.

One nice thing about the Nova chucks - as well as the chuck, any jaws you buy for the G3 will also fit the Supernovas if you decide to buy more chucks later, perhaps if you upgrade some day to a larger lathe. (and never say never - many, many people start with a smaller lathe then upgrade to a larger lathe with enhanced features as they drop further into the abyss of woodturning addiction!)

The Supernova2 is nice in one way - the chuck key is a large allen-type wrench in a T handle. This makes it vary quick and easy to operate. The earlier Supernova and the G3 use a pinion gear on the end of a T handle. The design of the key for the original Supernova is horrible and sometimes makes it difficult to use. They changed the design on the G3 and it is far better.

My two G3 chucks are currently on loan to a fried with a Delta midi lathe with the same spindle thread as yours. She is quite happy with the chucks.

JKJ

Thanks, John, very much appreciated.

bob

Bob, The G3 is a good chuck. I will echo the comments of others and if you select that chuck get the insert type. However owning Both the Nova and Record brand chucks I preferred the Record over the Novas. IMO it is a better quality and tightens to the right instead of the left. The Record SC3 is comparable to the G3 and the SC4 is comparable to the Nova2. Nova jaws will fit the Record chuck. I no longer have any of my Novas or Record chucks, sold all of them. I now use Axminister brand and definitely like that brand better. The only reason for not recommending that brand is they are all direct thread. At one time I never thought I would ever upgrade my lathe, but now have a Robust AB and I didn’t start out with that lathe. Any of the chucks mentioned will work, but I liked the Record chucks over the Nova.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    Bob, The G3 is a good chuck. I will echo the comments of others and if you select that chuck get the insert type. However owning Both the Nova and Record brand chucks I preferred the Record over the Novas. IMO it is a better quality and tightens to the right instead of the left. The Record SC3 is comparable to the G3 and the SC4 is comparable to the Nova2. Nova jaws will fit the Record chuck. I no longer have any of my Novas or Record chucks, sold all of them. I now use Axminister brand and definitely like that brand better. The only reason for not recommending that brand is they are all direct thread. At one time I never thought I would ever upgrade my lathe, but now have a Robust AB and I didn’t start out with that lathe. Any of the chucks mentioned will work, but I liked the Record chucks over the Nova.
    Thanks, Bill, appreciate the advise.

Bob

I'm a fairly well accomplished woodworker. I have an older Delta 46-111 lathe that I've used occasionally in the past. Now, I'd like to start turning some pepper mills. In watching videos, a chuck is needed. I've done a little research including past posts on this site. Would a Nova G3 be a good selection? I noticed Tools Plus has a G3 bundle for about $130. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    I prefer the Oneway Talon chuck for peppermills and similar projects primarily because of the profiled jaws which can accommodate a wide range of tenon sizes.
    Bill

One more question - I plan to order the G3 insert style today. Now, I see the needed insert adapters come in various options - reversable, dual thread, etc. Which style of insert do I need?

Thanks,

Bob

One more question - I plan to order the G3 insert style today. Now, I see the needed insert adapters come in various options - reversable, dual thread, etc. Which style of insert do I need?

Thanks,

Bob
    The reversible is only if your lathe headstock has a threaded spindle on the outboard (left) side with left-handed threads and if you want to turn outboard. The dual thread is for the same outboard turning but will allow you to use the chuck on both left-handed and right-handed spindles. Otherwise get the standard insert.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    The reversible is only if your lathe headstock has a threaded spindle on the outboard (left) side with left-handed threads and if you want to turn outboard. The dual thread is for the same outboard turning but will allow you to use the chuck on both left-handed and right-handed spindles. Otherwise get the standard insert.

JKJ

Thanks, John.

bob