Thread: Bandsaw Issue

Bandsaw Issue

I have an old Delta 14" bandsaw with the riser block, takes 105" blades. I have the Carter Micro-Adjust Riser Guide installed.

I have been making 1 1/2" rounds from 1 1/8" hard maple using a circle cutting jig. I started with a 1/4" blade.

The first six I made were all fine using the 1/4" blade. Then the blade started to get pulled forward off the guides as I rotated the wood on the jig. I figured the blade was getting dull, so picked up a 1/8" and 3/16" blade figuring they would have less issues cutting the curve.

It didn't help, the 1/8" was worse. I think it's too flexible. The 3/16" was a bit better, but I still had the problem. I did some test cuts, the blades work fine making straight cuts.

Suggestions? I was thinking I need to tension the blades more. I don't understand what's happening since the first set were cut without any issue.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Check the riser block bolts, to verify base ops.

If any of the hard points have loosened, setting tension will be difficult.

Do you have the pivot pin on the jig lined up with the front of the teeth on the blade? a 1/4" blade should cut down to a 5/8" radius. I'd suggest that your tooth count may be too high for cutting 1 1/8" hard maple. Try slowing your feed rate so you carry the saw dust out and the gullets aren't filled with sawdust.

Try sharpening your 1/4" blade? I have the same saw and it only takes about 10 min to sharpen a 105" 3 tpi blade. Just touch each tooth for a second or so with a cut off wheel on a Dremel.

Are you looking for perfectly round? If so do you have a drill press? I think you'll find clamping the wood to the DP and using a deep cut 1 5/8" hole saw might be easier for such a small circle.

Blog Entries
    Was the blade pulling toward the center of the circle or away from it?

How does your circle jig align to your table?

Did you try to tension your blade a bit more after it warmed up from making your first cuts?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    When I have issues such as this, I will examine the bandsaw and see if something is wrong. I had to replace the riser block on mine,

What kind of jig? The jig I made works on my delta bandsaw and delta belt/disc sander. I find it easier to cut close on the bandsaw and finish size on the disc.

Did you "tune" your saw after the blade size change? changing blade size changes where and how the blade runs on your wheels.

It sounds like a tracking adjustment. With narrow blades you may need to set it so the blade would move backwards, but is restrained from doing so by the thrust bearing. That gives more assurance it won't move forward during a cut.

Thanks to the helpful suggestions. I got it working with the 1/4" blade.

I think the underlying problem what that the blade and the circle jig were not aligned. I basically was more careful about installing the blade, put a little more tension on the blade, realigned the carter blade bearings, and the circle jig. I also went slower when I made the cuts.

I suspect what happened when the problem first started was that I was putting too much pressure on the blade, it shifted on the wheels, and become out of alignment with the circle jug.

Thanks again, I was able to complete what I was doing.

Bob

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hinden View Post
    Thanks to the helpful suggestions. I got it working with the 1/4" blade.

I think the underlying problem what that the blade and the circle jig were not aligned. I basically was more careful about installing the blade, put a little more tension on the blade, realigned the carter blade bearings, and the circle jig. I also went slower when I made the cuts.

Bob
    One of the things I learned recently about my band saw is that the table needs to be aligned with the blade. I had difficulty resawing and cutting circles with my circle jig. One of the members here pointed me at this video about aligning the table to the blade. When I tested my saw the blade was definitely pulling the work away from the fence. After adjusting the table to put the miter slot and fence parallel to the blades my problems went away. Even when changing blade my saw still tracks straight. I run my blades centered on the upper wheel. My circle jig is much less temperamental about alignment and I get near perfect circles every time. We spend hours aligning our table saws but most of us take it for granted that bandsaws come to us aligned properly.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 10-23-2020 at 8:02 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee,

Thanks, very helpful. I will do the alignment as described in the video.

Bob

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hinden View Post
    Lee,

Thanks, very helpful. I will do the alignment as described in the video.

Bob
    Let us know what you think after you complete the alignment.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!