Thread: Epilog Mini 24 vs. Trotec Speedy 100

Epilog Mini 24 vs. Trotec Speedy 100

Imagine this subject has been beaten to death but wanted to ask some other questions that I have not seen much around answers on. Just a quick background on my intended use. Mainly engrave wooden blocks, trivets, ornaments. Most of these are words, phrases and sometimes logos. Nothing too involved from a design perspective.

1. Speed - I know Trotec has the faster speed but where would that come into play? Based on what I am doing don't know that the fastest of speed is needed.

2. Software - I know Epilog uses Corel. Not sure if Trotec does as well or if there is more of a learning curve on one vs the other.

3. Power - with mainly engraving and maybe some minimal cutting, is there a minimal wattage that is recommend. I know the Epilog Mini is a 30 watt. Trotec has a 30 and 60 and the rep said 60w would be the better choice.

From an exhaust perspective, would any one have recommendations for either of these. I know the HF 1 HP dust collector I believe would work but I have owned that prior as a dust collection system and would like something quieter than that. The Trotec rep mentioned something about a Turbo Inline fan.

Any other feedback people have between these 2 is welcome. I don't really have an issue with either and imagine I would be happy with either one compared to my 50w eBay I currently own.
    Last edited by Joseph Mazey; 10-21-2020 at 11:01 AM.

speed-- if you're looking at 40watts or less, anything over 80" per second will be useless for anything but paper and laserable metal engraving. I've had a Gravograph LS900-40w machine for 16 years that runs 72" per second, and black/white Rowmark which is about the easiest can barely be done at 100% speed and power. In use I run at 85% speed. I have a 30w GCC that runs 80" per second, and I can't use the full speed on that one either. I have a 35w LS100 that's putting out an as-tested 47 watts, and it's capable of 'inverse' speed & power settings; blk/wht Romark runs 100 speed and 70% power, but I'm not even sure of it's rated speed... To run high speeds, you need high power.

Just an aside, in all the years I've been lasering, and with the LS900 in particular, I've never really felt I needed a faster machine. I HAVE felt the need for ANOTHER machine, on many occasions. And from experience I can tell you that I can get a LOT more work done with 2 slower machines than with one blazing-fast machine. Which is why I have like 18 machines in this house, I rarely if ever have to wait on a machine

Based on your stated needs, my advice is buy the Mini, but go with 40 watts rather than 30 if possible. Engraving capabilities between a 30 and 40 will be pretty close, but when engraving WOOD or cutting anything, 40w is substantially faster than 30w. If you think you need faster, the Trotec will cost more up front, and the added power will set you back more. Great machines, but greatness don't come cheap
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thank you for the feedback Kev.

I looked at the wattages a little more and also spoke to a Trotec sales rep this morning. I am looking at both 60 watt on the Trotec Speedy 100 and Epilog Mini 24. Price wise, about $1500 more on the Trotec side. I have not seen either machine in person but have caught a few videos. I like the smaller footprint on Epilog as was thinking I could logically put that on a bench with cabinets below. The Trotec seems a little more in height and know has maybe twice the weight so that would need either the Trotec stand or for me to build one.

I am a fan of Trotec as I believe their build quality to be superior. That said, either will work. Whether you are cutting or engraving more power is always helpful. That investment is not lost as the higher wattage will be easier to sell when the time comes.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Epilog will print from any graphics program (any program, for that matter, though most don't make sense). Many users choose Corel, I use Illustrator primarily though I've also used EasyDraw, a less expensive simpler alternative. The machine is run by a (PC only) printer driver, it doesn't care what software originated the artwork. To cut you need to be able to set the line width, you can raster from anything (perhaps badly).

It's a shame they don't have a Mac driver, it would make life much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Epilog will print from any graphics program (any program, for that matter, though most don't make sense). Many users choose Corel, I use Illustrator primarily though I've also used EasyDraw, a less expensive simpler alternative. The machine is run by a (PC only) printer driver, it doesn't care what software originated the artwork. To cut you need to be able to set the line width, you can raster from anything (perhaps badly).
    It's a shame they don't have a Mac driver, it would make life much easier.
    I currently use Lightburn on my eBay laser and have liked the ease of use and have a lot of templates designed in it. That said, I believe the developers of that software mentioned the higher ends will not work as they do not own those laser to develop code but if Epilog is the route I go may be worthwhile to test as not having to switch over any software is always a plus.

I have read different posts/comments about attending trade shows and getting better deals on lasers. Under the current circumstances not sure there are any shows happening but would it make sense to barter with a sales rep on a lower cost. I talked to a Epilog dealer a few weeks back and asked about any discounts/special pricing and pretty much got "that would be the price". Assume maybe with Trotec's prices not listed they may have a window of fluctuation.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Mazey View Post
    I currently use Lightburn on my eBay laser and have liked the ease of use and have a lot of templates designed in it. That said, I believe the developers of that software mentioned the higher ends will not work as they do not own those laser to develop code but if Epilog is the route I go may be worthwhile to test as not having to switch over any software is always a plus.
    I too have been a LightBurn user for quite some time and love the software. We recently acquired a Fusion M2 machine, and to say the least, it's been an adjustment coming from something as simple and intuitive as LightBurn to Corel/Epilog Print driver. The good thing is that you can export everything from LightBurn, import to Corel, Smart Fill, etc. So, all of your designs and artwork are not completely lost, just takes some work to get them "Epilog Ready" I do know that it's been asked if the LightBurn developers would add a Print function to it so that it could be used as a front end to the Epilog Driver as well. I believe there is a feature request in their tracking software, so would be a good idea to go and upvote that one as well.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

Lightburn would not be my first choice as a design platform for running a laser. I have it, and it has some nice features for curved text. It also works pretty well exporting SVG to Corel with fills. You don't need to smart fill anything, and it will delete duplicate lines if they are the exact same length. Their AI export is an old version, and their DXF output is tiny line segments that approximate arcs. It's Gcode also does not do circular interpolation. The exported gcode is all G1 code. Probably OK for running a laser, but not very efficient code.

I'm a relatively new (secondhand) Trotec owner and must say that in addition to the machine being built like a tank their service to get me up and running was outstanding.