Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Strange Text Message

  1. #1

    Strange Text Message

    First a little background. I have a simple flip phone, and I have NEVER sent any text messages. (Call me!) Seldom do I receive one either. My BIL lives in Baton Rouge, and we live in central NC. Last night he sent me a text message. Usually for a text message, my phone makes a gurgling sound. Instead it rang, using a ringtone totally different from any I have ever used. Screen on outside showed BIL's number as caller. When I opened text message, a voice mail promoting a local political candidate played before I could read text message. Seems strange to me that a text from BIL would trigger a local political ad to play before text could be read. Any explanations. As a side note, have you ever noticed how many calls you receive that are just one number different from someone with whom you talk? How do spoofers know who I talk with, unless Verizon is selling them my info?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    E TN, near Knoxville
    Posts
    10,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    First a little background. I have a simple flip phone, and I have NEVER sent any text messages. (Call me!) Seldom do I receive one either. My BIL lives in Baton Rouge, and we live in central NC. Last night he sent me a text message. Usually for a text message, my phone makes a gurgling sound. Instead it rang, using a ringtone totally different from any I have ever used. Screen on outside showed BIL's number as caller. When I opened text message, a voice mail promoting a local political candidate played before I could read text message. Seems strange to me that a text from BIL would trigger a local political ad to play before text could be read. Any explanations. As a side note, have you ever noticed how many calls you receive that are just one number different from someone with whom you talk? How do spoofers know who I talk with, unless Verizon is selling them my info?
    I can't remember ever getting a spam call with one digit off a familiar number. You must pay extra for that.

    In fact spam calls to my phone have dropped to near zero in the last 6 months. And I’ve yet to get a political call. Don’t know what I did to deserve that.

    JKJ

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    361
    Nah, the power spoof thousands of phone numbers and hope to get lucky. I get women speaking Chinese from my local area code and neighborhood prefix.
    Regards,

    Tom

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    359
    Me too. In fact, in the last little while I've had 2 calls from people who told me they got phishing calls from my number about their account at Revenue Canada. I put in a call of concern to my provider ......
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    McKean, PA
    Posts
    13,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    Me too. In fact, in the last little while I've had 2 calls from people who told me they got phishing calls from my number about their account at Revenue Canada. I put in a call of concern to my provider ......
    I got three calls supposedly from my own home telephone number on my home line.
    Lee Schierer
    Captain USNR(Ret)

    My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    2,718
    I get several political texts per day. Blocking the number doesn’t help...they just use different numbers. Someone thinks I’m “Maryanne”. Irritating, but goes with the season. Just another week or so.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Modesto, CA, USA
    Posts
    5,155
    All I get are car warranty is expiring calls. I did get one my social security number was going to be suspended and "I" "T" would cause me all kinds of hurt. not the card, not it, but I T.
    Bil lD

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Posts
    1,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    All I get are car warranty is expiring calls. I did get one my social security number was going to be suspended and "I" "T" would cause me all kinds of hurt. not the card, not it, but I T.
    Bil lD
    My wife got that one earlier this week as a voice message. What worried me is she had to ask if it was legitimate.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony, and missed opportunities

    The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology

  9. #9
    It IS possible to receive a text and a phone call at the same time...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    54,781
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    It IS possible to receive a text and a phone call at the same time...
    Absolutely true...I use that a lot with conversations with clients when we are talking and I'm sending photos to them on the same phone.
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    E TN, near Knoxville
    Posts
    10,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Absolutely true...I use that a lot with conversations with clients when we are talking and I'm sending photos to them on the same phone.
    I'll try that next time I'm in a bit of a rush. I'll send this photo of me which is sure to cut the call short.

    JKJ_2012-08-27_18-00-27_204.jpg

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    54,781
    Quote Originally Posted by john k jordan View Post
    i'll try that next time i'm in a bit of a rush. I'll send this photo of me which is sure to cut the call short.
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •