Thread: Strange Text Message

Strange Text Message

First a little background. I have a simple flip phone, and I have NEVER sent any text messages. (Call me!) Seldom do I receive one either. My BIL lives in Baton Rouge, and we live in central NC. Last night he sent me a text message. Usually for a text message, my phone makes a gurgling sound. Instead it rang, using a ringtone totally different from any I have ever used. Screen on outside showed BIL's number as caller. When I opened text message, a voice mail promoting a local political candidate played before I could read text message. Seems strange to me that a text from BIL would trigger a local political ad to play before text could be read. Any explanations. As a side note, have you ever noticed how many calls you receive that are just one number different from someone with whom you talk? How do spoofers know who I talk with, unless Verizon is selling them my info?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    First a little background. I have a simple flip phone, and I have NEVER sent any text messages. (Call me!) Seldom do I receive one either. My BIL lives in Baton Rouge, and we live in central NC. Last night he sent me a text message. Usually for a text message, my phone makes a gurgling sound. Instead it rang, using a ringtone totally different from any I have ever used. Screen on outside showed BIL's number as caller. When I opened text message, a voice mail promoting a local political candidate played before I could read text message. Seems strange to me that a text from BIL would trigger a local political ad to play before text could be read. Any explanations. As a side note, have you ever noticed how many calls you receive that are just one number different from someone with whom you talk? How do spoofers know who I talk with, unless Verizon is selling them my info?
    I can't remember ever getting a spam call with one digit off a familiar number. You must pay extra for that.

In fact spam calls to my phone have dropped to near zero in the last 6 months. And I’ve yet to get a political call. Don’t know what I did to deserve that.

JKJ

Nah, the power spoof thousands of phone numbers and hope to get lucky. I get women speaking Chinese from my local area code and neighborhood prefix.
    Regards,

Tom

Me too. In fact, in the last little while I've had 2 calls from people who told me they got phishing calls from my number about their account at Revenue Canada. I put in a call of concern to my provider ......
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    Me too. In fact, in the last little while I've had 2 calls from people who told me they got phishing calls from my number about their account at Revenue Canada. I put in a call of concern to my provider ......
    I got three calls supposedly from my own home telephone number on my home line.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I get several political texts per day. Blocking the number doesn’t help...they just use different numbers. Someone thinks I’m “Maryanne”. Irritating, but goes with the season. Just another week or so.

All I get are car warranty is expiring calls. I did get one my social security number was going to be suspended and "I" "T" would cause me all kinds of hurt. not the card, not it, but I T.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    All I get are car warranty is expiring calls. I did get one my social security number was going to be suspended and "I" "T" would cause me all kinds of hurt. not the card, not it, but I T.
    Bil lD
    My wife got that one earlier this week as a voice message. What worried me is she had to ask if it was legitimate.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

It IS possible to receive a text and a phone call at the same time...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    It IS possible to receive a text and a phone call at the same time...
    Absolutely true...I use that a lot with conversations with clients when we are talking and I'm sending photos to them on the same phone.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Absolutely true...I use that a lot with conversations with clients when we are talking and I'm sending photos to them on the same phone.
    I'll try that next time I'm in a bit of a rush. I'll send this photo of me which is sure to cut the call short.

JKJ_2012-08-27_18-00-27_204.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by john k jordan View Post
    i'll try that next time i'm in a bit of a rush. I'll send this photo of me which is sure to cut the call short.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...