Thread: WTB: Need a couple parts for an older Norton IM313

WTB: Need a couple parts for an older Norton IM313

Knowing my grandpa (this was his) it was made between 1930 and 1965 - most likely. I remember it having pride of place on his workbench (nearest the woodstove in the shop area) my entire life. My earliest memory of it was probably 1970 or 1971. He had pretty much stopped woodworking before I was born, but grandma always had the sharpest kitchen knives in four counties.

I see the IM313 is still in production, but the two parts I need aren't available from Norton. You can see in the one picture it is missing a screw, and the hold clamp the screw goes through is warped or bowed.

I would like to replace these with factory correct parts and at least restore the thing to good working order. I do have a few cutters that I would like to have a go at on this stone system once it is ready to go.

I can probably find the screw at a hardware store and might could bend the hold clamp if I can't find OE parts, but I wanted to at least ask before I go that route.

If anyone has guesses or informed commentary on production dates I am all ears. I am confident the sentimental value to me far exceeds any likely resale value. I don't want to sell it, but I am curious to know (about) when it might have been manufactured. I do want to pass it on in good working order, and add to its story in the meantime. Besides the font and text on the cover, the only thing I saw that might help date production is the patent number on the inside of the lid.

Thanks in advance, esp if you have repair parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201020_184254[1].jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	222.9 KB 
ID:	443601   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201020_184316[1].jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	226.0 KB 
ID:	443602   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201020_184347[1].jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	167.6 KB 
ID:	443603  

Hello Scott. I may have you covered. Measure the bar length width and thickness. If we have a match, you can have what you need for postage.

Quote Originally Posted by les winter View Post
    Hello Scott. I may have you covered. Measure the bar length width and thickness. If we have a match, you can have what you need for postage.
    That would be fabulous.

Bar length is 11 3/8", the holes are 5 3/8" OC.

Bar thickness is something like 0.145", I don't have the correct tooling to measure the thickness of a curved piece that I know of.

Bar width is 0.731". With all three bars lined up side by side by side I measured 2 3/16"

The missing screw is gonna be #10 x24tpi @ 3/4 inch length with I think an oval head and a specially shaped star washer. I can probalby get the screw local, but I have never seen a cone shaped lock washer before.

With the thing apart one mystery is solved. I remember the stones from my childhood having some dish to them, but the system my mom mailed to me has flat stones showing. With the unit apart to measure the bars for Les I see the back sides of all three stones are pretty heavily dished, so I am not crazy; the stones have been flipped. Well, I minght still be crazy, but the back sides of all three stones are pretty worn.

Go out and buy a lottery ticket, Scott. Your luck is running strong. We have a match. Send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll get the bar and screws out to you this weekend.

1949 patent application submitted
    1951 patent issued
    Could have been built anywhere from a year before the application to as late as they made them.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US2558325A/en

Thanks @Bruce King . My grandpa didn't really have or spend any discretionary income until after WWII. He was too old for the military, but got a job in a ship yard building liberty ships. Once the war was over he moved back to Kansas and pretty much accumulated everything (the stuff) he wanted out of life between 1945 and 1965. He passed in the early 1990s, but he was a master at being content with what he had.

Paypal $ sent and tracking number received, thanks again Les.