Thread: Brand new power supply, bright purple tube, but practically no beam output

Brand new power supply, bright purple tube, but practically no beam output

Hi folks, hoping someone can help me diagnose a problem.

I just installed a brand new power supply from cloudray. The power supply has a nice little screen with a digital milliamp meter, and I've also got an analogue meter on my machine. When I pulse the beam I get readings I would expect from both meters and my tube lights up with a strong purple glow, but I'm getting practically zero output. I put some tape at the end of the tube to rule out any optics alignment issues and there is only the faintest hint of burning on the tape. I checked that the min power on the controller is set high enough to get output and that didn't help. I tried running a file that has worked in the past and that also had no output.

This is the power supply I purchased to replace one that was shorting out:
    https://www.cloudraylaser.com/produc...nt=45460421000

I should note that this is a fairly old tube and I had been noticing some power reduction when I used it last, which was several months ago. Is it typical for a dead tube to still be lighting up purple? Is there something else I could be missing?

Thanks for the help!

You have a 150 watt machine? Why did you replace the PS?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    You have a 150 watt machine? Why did you replace the PS?
    I have a 150w peak/130w max tube. The power supply I replaced was also a 150w PS, which I replaced because it was shorting.

I suspect this was due to user error and I allowed some metal shavings to get into the old PS. It popped and arced inside the PSU so I shut the machine down immediately and eventually opened up the PS to see if I could clean out the cause of the short or at least see if I could find the issue. I vacuumed and blew out the circuit board and re-installed the old PS and tested with the pulse button but was still getting the short, so that's when I scrapped the old PS and ordered the new one.