Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More Windsor chairs - a bright spot during the pandemic!

I have a set of carbide brad points, but apparently the carbide bits cannot be ground to a sufficient angle to give a clean entry. I just discovered that after three chairs!! I don’t use a brace and bits - just not that dedicated to traditional tools for that type of task. I hope the LV HSS bits will be an improvement.

Left click my name for homepage link.

John, really nice looking chair. Such a build is kind-of-sort-of on my bucket list. At present, I don't even have a lathe, so I probably need to go that route first. How green is the maple that you used on your most recent chair?

Lots of people love those bits. I must have gotten a bad one. I bought the 5/8” and did not find it cut well at all. I assume operator error if I have a problem with Lee Valley products, but it feels like mine was dull when received.

Prashun, my guess is somebody dulled it ...and sent it back.

Joe, thanks for the comments. The maple had been cut for perhaps a year or more and the outer sapwood had spalted some. However, it was about 32” in diameter and quite wet inside. When we cut the 36” long section I got, we cut off about 3 feet of the end to get rid of checking that had occurred.

Here are current pics of the sack back status. Getting ready to work on the crest rail. I thought I had the iPhone pics rotated, but it appears they may still be sideways. Sorry!
    Attached Images Attached Images

John, outstanding work!! Always amazed at your finished projects, whether hollow forms, furniture, or chairs, your eye for detail is to be commended! Thanks for sharing!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks Steve!