Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cutting sandpaper roll

cutting sandpaper roll

I have these rolls of Porter Cable sandpaper. I have an application for which I though I'd be real smart and cut the roll into ~1 inch rolls on the band saw. Well sparks flew and the blade was ruined about half-way through. I suspect that what I thought was cutting paper was cutting metal due to the aluminum oxide on the paper. So...

1. How to cut this stuff? Slower/metal working band saw?
    2. Or, where can I find 1" wide adhesive back sandpaper.

Scott Welty
    Chicago

Blog Entries
    Any abrasive (or abrasive material like even MDF) will dull a cutter. Carbon steel bandsaw blades wear out fast enough on just wood ;-) I would grab a metal cutting blade and see how you do. How long do the pieces need to be? If not long, I would cut the material to length and then cut the short pieces length-wise . . . that would be prior to being halfway done like you are now. I have an old pair of tin snips from my Grandpa that I use to cut paper for my drum sander. Perhaps something like that would work for short cuts. If you are trying to make long rolls of 1" material for some reason I would just buy the stuff in that format. I love being creative around the shop but, some things are better left to the manufacturers.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Umm, sandpaper is covered in sharp particles of some of the hardest materials, way harder than the hardest steel. I doubt even a carbide blade would do well with that task. I think the best way to cut the strips is to lay the paper out & use a straight edge & box cutter to score it from the paper side. You'll have to snap off the blade frequently, but they're cheap.

I cut my drum sander strips from a roll of 80 grit, and I use some very large old (or at least old looking) all-metal scissors. They have been my sandpaper cutting scissors for years and I have never had to sharpen them yet. The abrasive does not seem to have hurt them, somehow.

I believe the OP wants to cut a longer roll into shorter rolls, all rolled up during the cutting, as it were...I'm not sure there is a simple solution for that because of the nature of abrasives and the media is likely cut/slit during manufacture before being rolled up.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A water jet might do it if the paper is waterproof. laser or edm may burn the edges.
    Bill D

As suggested, I would try a metal cutting blade on the bandsaw first. Be prepared to have sandpaper grit particles all over your saw parts.

A portaband might be a good tool here. Much cheaper blades.

Because if you can’t cut it rolled up, you’ve got a lot of work ahead of you trying to cut 10 yards of paper into strips with a razor blade.

I would think that the heat generated during cutting thru adhesive backed paper would create a gooey mess on the blade, and consequently your bandsaw tires, etc.

Have you checked Klingspor? My bet is that if the product exists they would have it or steer you in the right direction.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Blog Entries
    It will ruin a metal cutting blade in short order. Might be worth a try if you have a dull one on hand that you don't mind ruining.

Blog Entries
    Aluminum oxide is the abrasive used to sharpen things. It will dull them quicker if used incorrectly. To cut 8.5x11 sheets of 120 and finer abrasive, I use a paper cutter, abrasive side down, it works well. I see no easy way to slice an unrolled roll of abrasive paper or cloth with normal shop tools. Unroll it and use a straightedge and box knife as suggested will be your best bet. Abrasive side down.
    NOW you tell me...

A metal blade will not work much better. The sandpaper is more like rock than metal. The second thing I can see happening is you injuring yourself trying to cut something soft on a bandsaw. I'm not normally that kind of guy to point it out but for less than $10 a roll at Klingspor Woodworking Shop I would just buy the correct size and not spend more money on blades.

Thanks everybody! I've learned (hard way . . . again!). But I found this which will serve me well.

Scott

I got a roll of 3" wide 80 grit PSA roll from them years ago and it is still going strong, I only use it on radius blocks when making a radiused fretboard so I don't get through a lot.

Glad you found a solution. Another thing that I wouldn't want you to learn the hard way:
    cutting 'wheels' on the bandsaw is a bad thing. The blade can roll your tube. At the very least it can roll your fingers into the blade. At the worst - with a large log, it can do that AND cause the wood to slam down onto the table, crushing your other hand and ruining the blade. DAMHIKT.... I made it out with only slight bruising on my fingers and a twisted blade. Did lose a pair of underwear though

I wonder if an abrasive wheel could "brute force" its way through?