Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quercus Magazine... Hmm

Raphael, I have subscribed to Quercus over the past couple of years. In the beginning (see my post at the start of this thread), I did not get in with the content. I kept reading, and gradually the personality of the magazine became clearer and engaging. Quercus appears to be closer to the late Woodworking magazine which Chris Schwartz started for Pop Wood, and also Mortise and Tenon magazine. It is purely hand tools orientated. I like that I can download a copy for my iPad. I don’t believe that M&T magazine do this.

In a world of decreasing hand tool content in the increasingly fewer magazine dedicated to woodwork, we are fortunate to have a few dedicated editors and independent owners who strive to produce material that pertinent to hand tool woodworking.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Looks like someone we know is featured in the current issue

Congrats, Derek!

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Raphael, I have subscribed to Quercus over the past couple of years. In the beginning (see my post at the start of this thread), I did not get in with the content. I kept reading, and gradually the personality of the magazine became clearer and engaging. Quercus appears to be closer to the late Woodworking magazine which Chris Schwartz started for Pop Wood, and also Mortise and Tenon magazine. It is purely hand tools orientated. I like that I can download a copy for my iPad. I don’t believe that M&T magazine do this.
    Derek, I had not noticed you had an article in the last issue. My decision was made some time ago, and I say again it's just a personal preference. I'm sure there are others that will like their content, I'll just spend my dollars somewhere else. I rather like hard copy instead of online content.

Cheers,

Rafael

Raphael, no offense was taken. I replied, not because I have contributed to a couple of editions (I was asked to write a few articles commemorating David Charlesworth and his influence), but because of my earlier remarks, which were similar to yours. The layout of the magazine is not my personal choice, and I find it harder to read than magazines where the content and photos run together. In Quercus, the photos are smaller, separate and referenced in the body of the text.

Having said this, the content in Quercus is more contemporary, while the content in Mortise&Tenon is more historical. Choices are made in these instances. It is wonderful that we have the luxury of such a choice!

Regards from Perth

Derek