Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quercus Magazine... Hmm

Quercus Magazine... Hmm

I came across a reference to a new all hand tool woodworking magazine. I just got the first two issues.

Unfortunately, pretty underwhelming for me. I wasn't enamored with the writing style of the main editor for one.
    I also found myself wondering why some of the articles were even in there. (Like one of the multi-page ones about some off-grid shack he bought in France... featuring some kind of water heater made from a junk metal cabinet or something). Many of the articles were 1 pagers.

There was one article by the Bad Axe saw guy (Mark Harrell) on retensioning saw plates on folded spine back saws. Good article. That one is a keeper.
    In contrast there is an article by a man who seems to be writing that he has never used a splay legged saw bench, but that the straight legged one he shows how to build is superior because he's reasoned his way to that conclusion. I'm not saying he's wrong... (I lack enough personal experience on my splayed leg horses), but it just seems like a weird way to write an article... (So, I've never actually used one of these... but I designed a better one). Another article about a (homeless?) guy who carves spoons and sells them on the street. (No carving instruction here, just a tale about how he quit his corporate job and makes spoons for enough money to eat and why that is some amazing lifestyle choice... which it may be for him... just don't see how it is woodworking magazine material).

Photos are a bit small on many of the articles, and kind of washed out (See cover photo of Issue #1).

Anyway, anyone else read it? Like it? Am I being too harsh?
    Last edited by Erich Weidner; 10-19-2020 at 10:26 PM.

Hi Erich

I must admit that I am also underwhelmed by the first two editions. Perhaps it is a personal matter, but I prefer more "meat", that is, more in-depth descriptions or lengthier articles. It all seems to start, and then abruptly move on to the next article. I'd rather have fewer articles.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Also, the editor talks about how the magazine only exits because he couldn't go to the library anymore due to COVID, and he doesn't really have to work because of some sort of injury related stipend, so this motivated him to actually do the magazine. Meanwhile in the intro to Issue #1 he talks about how he is sending issue #1 to everyone who subscribed to his previous publication which apparently folded without subscription refunds and because some of the articles were pulled from that prior magazine. Oh, and they aren't taking subscriptions because they want to test the market first so they don't fold on subscribers again.

...Just kind of a strange way to to position things.

I got the first two issues too and a subscription. I make it 3 for 3 with it being underwhelming. If it doesn't improve with better content I let the subscription lapse.

I'm still working my way through the first two issues, but I haven't felt disappointed. I note, though, that this is a UK centric publication. Some of the articles are by or about well known names in that community, like Bill Carter and Richard Arnold. It also does not focus on how great this or that Stanley plane is or how great it would be to buy the Lie Nielsen or Veritas planes, which some of the discussions here seem to be about.

It's a little quirky but also a bit refreshing in its own way. I don't know how somebody could do a magazine or ezine with how-to material, even hand tool only how-to, and not be utterly redundant. There's a lot of stuff already out there. A whole lot. And the brand vs. brand merry-go-round. Please, no.
    Last edited by Charles Guest; 10-20-2020 at 12:28 PM.

Rafael, I actually like the UK slant (Brits make the best beer for example). Different focus and different names are fine. Just not sold on the content so far (for the most part).
    I'm not looking for it to read like FWW or PWW or M&T... but it has to catch my interest in some way. Just not there yet for me.

Blog Entries
    Another article about a (homeless?) guy who carves spoons and sells them on the street. (No carving instruction here, just a tale about how he quit his corporate job and makes spoons for enough money to eat and why that is some amazing lifestyle choice... which it may be for him...
    This reminded me of an acquaintance/friend in Berkeley, CA who was a maker of pottery. He made many sizes and shapes. He also made a lot of small items less than an inch tall. He had a license to set up shop on a corner of Telegraph Avenue near the University Campus. As people walked by he would whisper, "hey, want to buy a little pot?" It would at lest get some to stop and maybe give him a dollar for one of his "little pots" so they could go home and have some laughs with a friend.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The third issue is out. It's not spectacular, but some people may like the topics.

Regarding the saw bench, after reading the article I agree with him and would prefer a design without the splayed legs. Less top surface and the possibility of hitting the legs on trestle-based designs are pretty obvious design flaws. The vertical leg design he chose is also pretty obvious. Am I missing something?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    The third issue is out. It's not spectacular, but some people may like the topics.

Regarding the saw bench, after reading the article I agree with him and would prefer a design without the splayed legs. Less top surface and the possibility of hitting the legs on trestle-based designs are pretty obvious design flaws. The vertical leg design he chose is also pretty obvious. Am I missing something?
    Haven't seen the article mentioned but with saw benches the leg design comes down to how a person prefers to do rip cuts. If a person saws in front of the bench then the leg design isn't as important:

Ripping Away.jpg

If a person is inclined to saw over the side of their bench, having vertical legs is the only way that makes sense.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

like this?

IMG_5707.jpg

Jim, Thomas, you'll need to make two. I think the rationale of the guy in the article was influenced by the fact that he's working in what looks like a shed. If ripping small pieces, his solution is simple and obvious.

496500_1.jpg

Ripping something that short, I just do on the bench overhand. But, I do see what you're talking about (which is good, since I haven't read the magazine yet)
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Any updates on this, now that it's been out for a couple years? I've seen it listed a few places (Lee Valley, Highland Woodworking, etc.) and been tempted to drop one in the shopping cart..

I just recently dropped the subscription. I started to notice a tendency to feature personalities whom I don't find that interesting. I switched to Mortise and Tenon magazine, the content seems more focused on ww topics rather than personal stories.