Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motorized bicycles

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Sure it’s be fun, but there’s nothing like The feeling of human powered bicycles. Quiet, smooth, and good exercise.

I’ve been mountain biking for about 25 years. There’s a whole new genre of mountain bikes that are battery assist. I get it, but don’t get it. Earn your downhill!
    I believe the correct expression is ‘Pedal Assist’ not battery assist. If you don’t pedal you don’t move! I’ve been mt biking over 30 years and at 72 my leg strength and cardio capability ain’t what it used to be despite great effort to the contrary. Now I can go up with you younger guys without excess fatigue and enjoy the thrill of the ride down. Took 20 years off me, just wish the balance and reaction time were what they used to be. Now I enjoy the uphill climb and can still get a maximum heart rate workout. Ya, I earn my turns!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    I believe the correct expression is ‘Pedal Assist’ not battery assist. If you don’t pedal you don’t move! I’ve been mt biking over 30 years and at 72 my leg strength and cardio capability ain’t what it used to be despite great effort to the contrary. Now I can go up with you younger guys without excess fatigue and enjoy the thrill of the ride down. Took 20 years off me, just wish the balance and reaction time were what they used to be. Now I enjoy the uphill climb and can still get a maximum heart rate workout. Ya, I earn my turns!
    Same here. Got a good e-bike on the recommendation of a friend. His rides were usually 20-40 miles but with advancing age was having a few problems. He bought a high-end e-bike and rides it everywhere.

These things are amazing. I can ride up steep hills just as if it was on flat ground. Note that the balance between the effort extended and the power assist is adjustable on the fly. As a plus, and add-on monitor/controller keeps up with riding stats. (Mine is a Turbo Levo by Specialized)

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Some years ago, my daughter was a law clerk for Alex Kozinski, chief judge of the 9th circuit court of appeals.
    — she had never learned to drive (said she was too busy)
    — her hours were 9am to 2am 7 days a week
    — she graduated law school on a Saturday and was expected in chambers the following Monday
    — she found an apartment about 2 miles from the courthouse
    — the ninth is in Pasadena, she graduated from Northwestern in Chicago and we lived in Kansas City.
    — formal dress was required and the judge expected his clerks to look their best when they entered the courthouse so no changing clothes. That meant a bike was out of the question.

wanting to support her in every possible way, I did a lot of research and found an electric bike called a Velotec. This thing looked like a Vespa so she could ride it in a skirt and heels. It took advantage of a loophole in the law that said it must ‘be capable of being propelled with pedals’. Velotec included a pair of pedals under the seat that could be snapped in place. They also included a laminated copy of the pertinent statute. If she had ever been stopped by the man, she could have snapped in the pedals and made it go two feet. This loophole meant that it was classed as a bicycle and required no license.

she rode that thing every day. Worked like a champ. We wound up giving it to a college kid. It had served its purpose so I didn’t care. She got through the clerking and when she went to a big law firm in DC, they had a hard time keeping her busy so she moved over to the general counsel for the us House of Representatives. Now she’s at Justice in the Office of Legal Counsel.