Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drilling...

Rob,

Sorry to hear about the unplanned perforation. Have had similar experiences, well, not quite exactly the same, but similar.

I am a member of the Texas Southern Baptists Disaster Relief Organization on an "on and off" (but mostly on) basis, and need to renew my training pretty soon to get back on, as I have been behind a few months....so am temporarily off the group again.

What I learned from the last time I served in a disaster trip (a flood) is "DON'T PUT OFF THE TETNUS SHOT." If it could POSSIBLY have been anywhere near as long as 10 years GET A FRESH TETNUS SHOT. It is not worth the risk!

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 10-19-2020 at 9:43 PM.

The last time I started a reply to "When was your last tetanus shot?" with "I think.." I got that far and the doc said "No, the correct answer is TODAY!"
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    I always worry about my nail guns and now I will have to worry about my drills.

Was it with your new LV eggbeater? (just got my catalog yesterday...) That'd be a feat!

Seriously-will echo above and would call the doc to confirm about the tetanus. I hope you heal soon!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Thanks for all the comments - and the prompts for a Tetanus shot... I'll go get a booster. Just had the flu shot yesterday....

Cheers -

Rob

I put a 3/4 paddle bit into my thumb deep enough to get a circle. No major damage though just alot of blood. Duct tape fixed it though

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Was it with your new LV eggbeater? (just got my catalog yesterday...) That'd be a feat!!
    Agree on that egg beater, that hit my wish list so fast it woke all the other items up! Gotta get orders in early this year, too. Hope you’re well, Rob, take care!

Kevin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Fortunately only 3/32". Working overhead, and bit snapped. Dumb. At the base of the nail - but missed bone. Sure leaked a lot though.

Yikes! So, not only drilled but, with a jagged edge no less ;-(
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Yikes! So, not only drilled but, with a jagged edge no less ;-(
    Pretty sure the jagged edge was sharper than the original bit!

It's healing up nicely......(but I'll still never be able to play the piano......)

I think a company called Lee Valley sells clamps for almost any situation you could encounter. You should give them a try.😉

I've done that with a brad point bit. One of yours, Rob. Nice clean holes in wood, not so clean in fingers...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Pretty sure the jagged edge was sharper than the original bit!

It's healing up nicely......(but I'll still never be able to play the piano......)
    I did the same thing with a dull phillips head bit 20 years ago - and I can't play the piano either.
    Last edited by Curt Putnam; 10-21-2020 at 7:37 PM. Reason: typo

My Brother, God rest him, once shot a nail through his big toe, nailing battens for concrete roof tile. Pried it out with a pair of nippers, wrapped it up and went back to work!

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Rob,

Sorry to hear about the unplanned perforation. Have had similar experiences, well, not quite exactly the same, but similar.

I am a member of the Texas Southern Baptists Disaster Relief Organization on an "on and off" (but mostly on) basis, and need to renew my training pretty soon to get back on, as I have been behind a few months....so am temporarily off the group again.

What I learned from the last time I served in a disaster trip (a flood) is "DON'T PUT OFF THE TETNUS SHOT." If it could POSSIBLY have been anywhere near as long as 10 years GET A FRESH TETNUS SHOT. It is not worth the risk!

Regards,

Stew
    Too true. Anybody in this business/hobby is going to perforate themselves periodically. It's why I'll never have a tattoo. I poke enough holes in myself by accident that I have no desire to do so on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Robinson View Post
    My Brother, God rest him, once shot a nail through his big toe, nailing battens for concrete roof tile. Pried it out with a pair of nippers, wrapped it up and went back to work!
    Well, this thread could turn into an injury “one-up”.....

My entry: I had a great Aunt who farmed outside of Belleville Ontario. One year, she got frostbite on several toes, and they turned black..... she nipped them off with pincers used for trimming hooves.....

That’s tough.