Thread: eBay 50w vs. Epilog Mini 24 - looking for feedback/recommendations

eBay 50w vs. Epilog Mini 24 - looking for feedback/recommendations

Was wondering if anyone has owned a eBay blue/gray laser and moved to the higher end ones and would have any recommendations/gotchas. I got the eBay one about 18 months ago as more of playing around with cutting ornaments and other things. Over the past year that has turned into zero cutting and a lot of engraving and I am at a point where I would like to move up to a better laser. I really want something quicker, better engraving and to do away with the water cooling. I would like to go no higher than 20K on a new one. A few additional questions and any feedback is appreciated.

1. Software - I use Lightburn with the eBay laser and know that is not going to work with the higher end ones but I do know Corel well enough. Aside from Corel, is there other software that is better?

2. Heatburn/Residue - I use a high tack tape on what I engrave and end up with less residue but still have the cases where I get it and either can wipe it off depending on material, scrub with a gritty soap or sand it off. I assume this to be the case with any laser but did not know if I would see less of it. The one thing I hate with the tape is on little letters the air seems to blow the little tape pieces all over the place inside the machine which is fun to clean up.

3. Cutting - I use a lot of 1/4" MDF. My current laser cannot cut it unless I run real slow, high power and multiple passes and still does not always work. Would say the Mini 24 - 30 watt be able to cut that or what may be a recommended wattage? This is not a high priority, especially if that means jumping into a much pricier laser.

I have a Epilog dealer about 90 minutes from me I have been trying to get down to and at least see what the machines can do. Trotec is about 3 hours so not sure I will be able to see that one in person.

A 30 watt laser no matter what the brand is going to be slow cutting and will have a difficult time with anything over 1/8th"
    Where the high end machines shine is then engraving speed.
    Cutting is about the same on most co2 lasers.
    Corel is what most people use.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I use Illustrator because that's what I'm used to, I don't need yet another learning curve to learn Corel. AFAIK any vector drawing program works fine. I have also used EasyDraw as a cheaper alternative. For Epilog machines, the machine is run by the print driver, it doesn't care what the source program is. You could use Microsoft Powerpoint or engrave from your web browser if you cared to, not that you would want to.

To add to this thread, does anyone has the cost prices around Trotec? Epilog I can get prices online but Trotec seems to be a secret. I also talked to the Epilog dealer and ask them if I paid cash if I would get a better deal and they said the price is the same. I assume there are negotiations somewhere in the mix of this. From the used Trotec I have seen on ebay around 15k imagine the Speedy 100 is around 20k new.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Mazey View Post
    To add to this thread, does anyone has the cost prices around Trotec? Epilog I can get prices online but Trotec seems to be a secret. I also talked to the Epilog dealer and ask them if I paid cash if I would get a better deal and they said the price is the same. I assume there are negotiations somewhere in the mix of this. From the used Trotec I have seen on ebay around 15k imagine the Speedy 100 is around 20k new.
    I saw a nearly new Trotec on the Classifieds here a few months go begging for a buyer. I think it finally went for 12-14 K USD. There seems to be a lot of decent items go for nearly nothing because folks are afraid to purchase? I do not know. My ULS machine finally went locally for less than 1/2 of what I paid and it worked perfect. Yes to add what Bert said 40 watts at least the Chinese water cooled CO2 more like 50.
    Last edited by Bill George; 10-19-2020 at 10:51 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10