Thread: Do letter carriers still wear uniforms?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    They all wear uniforms around here - light blue shirts and dark blue slacks or shorts. I think there's a logo on the shirts, but I wouldn't swear to it. All drive USPS vehicles.

I think the wanted posters are the bigger loss. As a kid I was always watching for the crooks in the A&P grocery. Never saw any of them. I decided they must be shopping at Colonial Store....as they had Green Stamps!

I do think it is odd to see the surgeon general wearing a military uniform. I think that started up in the 1990's. Reminds me of a banana republic dictator wearing a uniform that he did not earn.
    Bil lD

https://about.usps.com/manuals/elm/html/elmc9_012.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I do think it is odd to see the surgeon general wearing a military uniform. I think that started up in the 1990's. Reminds me of a banana republic dictator wearing a uniform that he did not earn.
    Bil lD

https://about.usps.com/manuals/elm/html/elmc9_012.htm
    Interesting bit about the Surgeon General's office. They do appear to hold legitimate military rank.

The surgeon general is a commissioned officer in the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, one of the eight uniformed services of the United States, and by law holds the rank of vice admiral.[3] Officers of the Public Health Service Commissioned Corps are classified as non-combatants, but can be subjected to the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) and the Geneva Conventions when designated by the commander-in-chief as a military force or if they are detailed or assigned to work with the armed forces. Officer members of these services wear uniforms that are similar to those worn by the United States Navy, except that the commissioning devices, buttons, and insignia are unique. Officers in the U.S. Public Health Service wear unique devices that are similar to U.S. Navy staff corps officers (e.g., Navy Medical Service Corps, Supply Corps, etc.).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surgeo..._United_States

If Proposition 22 passes in california it is going to claim uber, lyft, doordash drivers are independent contractors. It was sponsored by those companies who have been claiming all along that they have no employees so they do not have to provide, insurance, retirement or back ground checks.
    If that law passes it would be easy to claim all drivers in california are independent contractors who can drive and wear whatever they feel like. This would include USPS, UPS, bus drivers? etc.
    It is a obvious special interest law but it will have far reaching unforeseen consequences. Any job that is dispatched by phone app would be exempt. I suppose any job that you call in to get your weekly schedule(fast food) would also be classified as independent contracting.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    If Proposition 22 passes in california it is going to claim uber, lyft, doordash drivers are independent contractors. It was sponsored by those companies who have been claiming all along that they have no employees so they do not have to provide, insurance, retirement or back ground checks.
    If that law passes it would be easy to claim all drivers in california are independent contractors who can drive and wear whatever they feel like. This would include USPS, UPS, bus drivers? etc.
    It is a obvious special interest law but it will have far reaching unforeseen consequences. Any job that is dispatched by phone app would be exempt. I suppose any job that you call in to get your weekly schedule(fast food) would also be classified as independent contracting.
    Bill D
    The examples you use at first are folks who drive their own vehicles to deliver the services off the organizations' platforms they participate in. USPS, UPS, etc., are not like that outside of some contractors they use in rural areas or for temporary contractors used for holiday overflow deliveries. USPS, UPS, etc., drivers use company vehicles and are employees. I do not believe there is risk if your proposition passes for being an "independent contractor" becoming universal across the board. I'm also not going to express support or non-support of this because I haven't really studied it at all. There are clearly good arguments for both positions.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The examples you use at first are folks who drive their own vehicles to deliver the services off the organizations' platforms they participate in. USPS, UPS, etc., are not like that outside of some contractors they use in rural areas or for temporary contractors used for holiday overflow deliveries. USPS, UPS, etc., drivers use company vehicles and are employees. I do not believe there is risk if your proposition passes for being an "independent contractor" becoming universal across the board. I'm also not going to express support or non-support of this because I haven't really studied it at all. There are clearly good arguments for both positions.

This defenatly one of those propositions that will end up in court for years. Unintended consequences and all that. One big kicker seldom mentioned is if it passes it will take a 7/8 vote to remove it. Good luck getting 7/8 of people to agree on anything.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Interesting bit about the Surgeon General's office. They do appear to hold legitimate military rank.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surgeo..._United_States
    They also are routinely assigned to armed services, and wear that services uniform (with the USPHS rank and insignia) while doing so. Also, the youngest millennial is ~25 now.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut