Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do letter carriers still wear uniforms?

Do letter carriers still wear uniforms?

Twice in recent months I ran into my letter carrier because he pulled down my long driveway to drop off a package when I was outside. In both cases was wearing a random t-shirt and shorts that was most definitely not a uniform. I thought letter carriers wear uniforms? Has this changed? I am pretty sure he is a USPS employee since he was driving a USPS vehicle. I certainly don't live in a rural area.

In our area, I wouldn't say uniforms because that implies all the same. Our regular guy, the usual substitute, and the not infrequent random subs all wear USPS logo clothing but not a full uniform and not really the same either. In our local post office the counter workers are the same. Once I noticed a guy without uniform shadowing our carrier and then saw him again the next day on his own still without any logos. I think I've seen him since with logo apparel, so I assume a new hire not gearing up before the first day.

PS same deal with UPS, FedEx, and Amazon carriers. Usually in logo clothing, but not always.

This guy was not wearing anything with the USPS logo on it. I have been to a retail Post Office in the past week and the counter clerks still wear uniforms.

Letter carriers used to always wear those dark gray pants sometimes with a thin stripe down the legs. Jackets and winter clothing were always a dark blue.

Blog Entries
    It is probably a contractor that they use when they have overflow or unscheduled absences.

Our regular carrier does not wear any uniform or logo clothing. Hasn't for quite sometime.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Ours haven't for over 30 years. They use their own vehicles also. All are rural carriers, but even those in the small Post Office's around here do not.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Blog Entries
    Another memory the millennials will have to do without; too bad.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

They all wear uniforms around here - light blue shirts and dark blue slacks or shorts. I think there's a logo on the shirts, but I wouldn't swear to it. All drive USPS vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    Ours haven't for over 30 years. They use their own vehicles also. All are rural carriers, but even those in the small Post Office's around here do not.
    Rural carriers are contractors, not employees, so they don't wear uniforms.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Rural carriers are contractors, not employees, so they don't wear uniforms.
    I was just going to say that...it depends if they are USPS folks or contractors. But even here where our rural delivery is UPSP employees and the regular folks in the white USPS trucks wear the uniform (shirts at least), sometimes substitute folks are more casually dressed. But we only actually see them if they have to bring a package up to the house. My regular driver even sneaks a cigar on his route...and gets away with it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Our guys wear uniforms with logo, drive the truck and walk to each house. Our main guy always looks really nice, the replacements are sloppy looking in their uniforms.

I think the wanted posters are the bigger loss. As a kid I was always watching for the crooks in the A&P grocery. Never saw any of them. I decided they must be shopping at Colonial Store....as they had Green Stamps!

I do think it is odd to see the surgeon general wearing a military uniform. I think that started up in the 1990's. Reminds me of a banana republic dictator wearing a uniform that he did not earn.
    Bil lD

https://about.usps.com/manuals/elm/html/elmc9_012.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Our regular carrier does not wear any uniform or logo clothing. Hasn't for quite sometime.
    Same here even though they're driving USPS vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I do think it is odd to see the surgeon general wearing a military uniform. I think that started up in the 1990's. Reminds me of a banana republic dictator wearing a uniform that he did not earn.
    Bil lD

https://about.usps.com/manuals/elm/html/elmc9_012.htm
    Interesting bit about the Surgeon General's office. They do appear to hold legitimate military rank.

The surgeon general is a commissioned officer in the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, one of the eight uniformed services of the United States, and by law holds the rank of vice admiral.[3] Officers of the Public Health Service Commissioned Corps are classified as non-combatants, but can be subjected to the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) and the Geneva Conventions when designated by the commander-in-chief as a military force or if they are detailed or assigned to work with the armed forces. Officer members of these services wear uniforms that are similar to those worn by the United States Navy, except that the commissioning devices, buttons, and insignia are unique. Officers in the U.S. Public Health Service wear unique devices that are similar to U.S. Navy staff corps officers (e.g., Navy Medical Service Corps, Supply Corps, etc.).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surgeo..._United_States