Thread: sandblasting burls

sandblasting burls

I have several large knobby burls which I want to hollow on the lathe while leaving the original contours on the outside but removing all the bark. I can't get into all the nooks and crannies with the tools I have and am looking at sandblasting. What would be the best medium? I am thinking glass beads or walnut hulls.

The crannies on the surface may catch media particles. If you turn that surface, glass particles may dull your tools.

Unless you want to take a couple of days to blast it, you'll have to use something more abrasive than your choices. Aluminum oxide would be my choice.

Crushed walnut shell blasting medium works great for cleaning up natural edges with good control over wood abrasion. Harbor freight used to carry 25# boxes and it works in my cheapo blaster.
    If the burls are highly fissured and the bark is sticking too tightly there may be limitations on removing it all. Definitely an outdoors job. Good luck and post pics of the finished piece

A brass wire wheel that you stick in the end of a drill works good

Thanks for the replies. I will hollow out the opposite face on the lathe so should have no problem with remaining blast medium. I am looking to get into the areas I can't reach with a wire wheel. Will give the walnut shells a try when I have replaced some small parts on my friend's blaster mixing valve.

I have good luck with a combination of blasting and dental picks.