Thread: Gouge repair in phenolic

Gouge repair in phenolic

I have a work table with a top made from a old phenolic bowling alley lane. I accidentally routed a long gouge in it. Any recommendations on an epoxy to fill it with? Thx
    About 3/8” wide, 3/16” deep. 12” long
    Last edited by David Shoemaker; 10-17-2020 at 7:42 PM. Reason: Adding dimensions

I like that stuff, and use it for several things, including an assembly table.

I don't think it will make a lot of difference with what type of epoxy you use. The box stores sell a little set of two small bottles (I'm thinking four or six ounces each). If I'm remembering right, it's a Locktite brand. Whatever the brand name is, I've used it, and it works fine.

You'll need some Acetone to clean up with, and it won't hurt the lane top. I'd babysit it, while it kicks, and shave it level with a sharp chisel when the time is right. Don't get too anxious. You can wait until it gels some, and won't pull strings off. If you try to shave it too soon, you will make a big mess. You want it to be far enough along that it doesn't deform, but is still easy to cut.

You will still get some stuck to the chisel. That's what the Acetone is for. Don't let it set all the way up on anything, including the top of the lane material, but don't dig our the surface where it needs to fill the gouge.

Blog Entries
    PC-7 will work very well for that repair. You can fill in the gouge so it is a little proud of the surface and shave it down flat with a file or hand plane. Once the gouge is filled, you an also wet your finger and smooth out the paste.
    pc-7.jpeg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

For that long of groove and as uniform of slot, I'd inlay a piece of maple.

I appreciate all of the feedback. I do have some PC Woody on hand. Has anyone ever tried that with phenolic?