Thread: Not a mile of CNC but..

Not a mile of CNC but..

Posted a couple pic's in finishing forum. Had a run of 230+ display boxes that has now landed over 250 and likely going to pass 300. All hardware machining, mortising, etc.. on the CNC. We built an 8 station spring loaded fixture to hold the box shells and lids (spring loaded do deal with any slight variation in thickness so all parts were spring loaded against the lid of the fixture so regardless of thickness all machining was consistent). Material was prep'd (long lengths), mitered, machined for splines, glued and clamped in a fixture, lids bandsawn off the box, then through the sander to cleanup bansaw on the lid and calibrate thickness. Through sander for top/bottom, onto CNC for latch, hinge, then finish clear coat, and assembly. Foam liners were CNC'd separately then flocked and pressed in custom form.

20201017_135302.jpg

Those look really great, Mark! Production runs are pretty cool to work out for efficiency, sounds like you have it down pretty good.

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Looks good Mark! I like the style, fit and finish.
    Seeing this really drives home to me the advantages of CNC for production work.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks. Pretty basic but without cnc no way to be profitable. Unfortunately the CNC work is about 15% of the work.

Those look great!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

First class. I'd be very happy receiving one of those.