Thread: Sharpening services in Western New York?

Sharpening services in Western New York?

I am trying to find a sharpening service in the Buffalo NY area that will sharpen hand saws. I have several miter box saws and crosscut and tenon saws that could use a good sharpening. If you know of a sharpening service that will do hand saws please let me know. Please don't suggest Dynamic Saw. They are great for table saw blades but do not do hand saws. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    You might ask around your local lumber suppliers. Around my area there is a professional sharpening service in Oregon. They work with a lot of lumber dealers. Once a week they pick up saws left for sharpening and return saws picked up on the previous visit.

Otherwise it might be a valuable skill to pick up on your own. A lot of the old handsaw sharpening folks have been retiring or closing.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    You might ask around your local lumber suppliers. Around my area there is a professional sharpening service in Oregon. They work with a lot of lumber dealers. Once a week they pick up saws left for sharpening and return saws picked up on the previous visit.

Otherwise it might be a valuable skill to pick up on your own. A lot of the old handsaw sharpening folks have been retiring or closing.

jtk
    Jim we are semi local to each other. Who is the sharpening service you know of?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    Jim we are semi local to each other. Who is the sharpening service you know of?
    The actual people doing the service is a mystery to me. When asking around one of the local lumber suppliers told me about them. My interest was due to having acquired a Foley saw filer. It is still sitting idle in my shop. Need to come across a whole bucket full of round tuits.

A quick search on Google found this shop > https://www.carsonsawshop.com < 650 Blair Blvd, Eugene, OR 97402

Being the frugal type my tendency is to do it myself.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by James Spillman View Post
    I am trying to find a sharpening service in the Buffalo NY area that will sharpen hand saws. I have several miter box saws and crosscut and tenon saws that could use a good sharpening. If you know of a sharpening service that will do hand saws please let me know. Please don't suggest Dynamic Saw. They are great for table saw blades but do not do hand saws. Thanks.
    James, it is very difficult to find someone to sharpen your handsaws, even more difficult to find someone to do a good job. Even most Neanders like to look at their fancy new saws, but very few use them enough to bother sharpening them with any regularity. And yes, some say "learn yourself", but some prefer to have others do it. I have used https://www.kennebecsaws.com and he does a good job. I think Pete Taran also sharpens. LN will resharpen their saws.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The actual people doing the service is a mystery to me. When asking around one of the local lumber suppliers told me about them. My interest was due to having acquired a Foley saw filer. It is still sitting idle in my shop. Need to come across a whole bucket full of round tuits.

A quick search on Google found this shop > https://www.carsonsawshop.com < 650 Blair Blvd, Eugene, OR 97402

Being the frugal type my tendency is to do it myself.

jtk
    I do mine as well. When I lived in the Eugene area, I think I called Carson and they didn't do it. Now that I live in the portland metro, I was curious if there was someone else.

Also you've probably seen it, but if not there has been a foley belsaw listing on Craigslist for a few months. May have the parts you need.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    I do mine as well. When I lived in the Eugene area, I think I called Carson and they didn't do it. Now that I live in the portland metro, I was curious if there was someone else.

Also you've probably seen it, but if not there has been a foley belsaw listing on Craigslist for a few months. May have the parts you need.
    My desire to get the Foley saw filer working has waned a bit. It seems there are not enough people who need a sharpening service to pay for what it would cost to get my unit up and running.

jtk

I know of a place in West Central Ohio.....it is where I have been sending my saws to....the ones that I can't see them tiny teeth anymore...5-7ppi I can sharpen...above that?