Thread: I am sure that

Blog Entries

I am sure that

I am probably the only one this happens to.
    I have a compressor in the shop. Some time ago it quit working so I went to a big box store near by and bought new one. When I got home I tried the old again and it worked. I took the new one back and got a refund from the store.

Yesterday it quit again, I checked it to see if it would start and nada, so I went to the store again and bought a new one. When I got home, I tried the old one and at first it would not start, but I picked it up dropped it about 6" onto the shop floor, and it started. Now I have two compressors.
    I will keep two and I bet they both will run forever. One is new in a box and will stay that way.

Blog Entries
    Check your pressure switch and on/off switch for dirty contacts.

I actually did have this happen to me a couple months ago when I needed to use my small portable compressor for work in our home. Checked it out; fuse was good, still wouldn't run. So I ran to HF and picked up a reasonably priced new one. But before I used it, I plugged in the old one to try one more time. That's when I noticed it was fully charged with air. "D'oh!!!!!" I guess it doesn't leak. Of course, that meant a trip back to HF to return the new one which they cheerfully took back and refunded the charge to my card.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I actually did have this happen to me a couple months ago when I needed to use my small portable compressor for work in our home. Checked it out; fuse was good, still wouldn't run. So I ran to HF and picked up a reasonably priced new one. But before I used it, I plugged in the old one to try one more time. That's when I noticed it was fully charged with air. "D'oh!!!!!" I guess it doesn't leak. Of course, that meant a trip back to HF to return the new one which they cheerfully took back and refunded the charge to my card.

That sounds like something I would do!!!

5. I did this with a Rol-air compressor years ago. I took it brand new out of the box, and it wouldn't start. Finally realized they actually shipped it from the factory fully pressurized, and it never leaked. Must have been months. When I read a bit about pressure vessels, they are apparently at rest (happiest) when they are full, and are stressed when empty. So I try to keep them pressurized at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Check your pressure switch and on/off switch for dirty contacts.
    That happened to my 60 gal 5hp Ingersoll Rand compressor some weeks ago. Bumping the the top of the pressure switch with my fist caused it to power on. I cleaned the contacts and the compressor worked for a while but the switch eventually started getting "stuck" again. One day it stuck ON instead of OFF, a far more serious problem.

I found a new exact replacement switch on Amazon and the compressor is working properly again.

JKJ